X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child Care Expense Question

Simple Question, I hope.

I have my daughter 50% of the time.

I'm not claiming my daughter as equivalent to spouse (since I got to do that last year).

I have almost $3,000 in child care costs.

I'm trying to use Studio Tax to do my taxes and I'm stuck at Form t778 (Child Care Expenses deductions).

Can I claim the child care costs? Can I say she's my dependent or will that automatically mean I'm claiming equivalent to spouse?

If I check the box on the Child Expense form that says my daughter lives with me I get to claim the expense and get $600 back. If I check the box saying she doesn't then I owe them $300 and the program ignores my child care expenses.

I'd probably take this to a pro to do but I don't want to pay money for someone to tell me I owe more. I want to be reasonably sure the child care expenses will count.

Did you pay the child care stuff directly to the provider? Not sure of the legalities on it, maybe try calling the CRA info line to see?

What is the difference going to be if your ex claims the child? How amicable are things between you?

(Basically if you would get a higher refund than she would, what are the chances of her allowing you to claim her as equivalent to spouse again this year in exchange for giving her whatever portion she'd normally get?)

Comment

Originally posted by 6911 View Post
      Simple Question, I hope.

I have my daughter 50% of the time.

I'm not claiming my daughter as equivalent to spouse (since I got to do that last year).

I have almost $3,000 in child care costs.

I'm trying to use Studio Tax to do my taxes and I'm stuck at Form t778 (Child Care Expenses deductions).

Can I claim the child care costs? Can I say she's my dependent or will that automatically mean I'm claiming equivalent to spouse?

If I check the box on the Child Expense form that says my daughter lives with me I get to claim the expense and get $600 back. If I check the box saying she doesn't then I owe them $300 and the program ignores my child care expenses.

I'd probably take this to a pro to do but I don't want to pay money for someone to tell me I owe more. I want to be reasonably sure the child care expenses will count.
      I've seen this before with software. You can claim the daycare receipts, you don't have to claim the equivalent to spouse, but the software is stupid. Some other brands have figured this out. Most tax software has an online version and you don't have to pay until you file, so you can use it to try it out. If you have the time try out some for free.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X