This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lawyers and billing for bill inquiries

Do lawyers charge for their time if you have a question about your bill?

Do lawyers charge for their time if
    Yes. The answer is always yes.

Comment

I believe they are required to provide detailed billing as a matter of providing the service (ie free), but answering questions or resolving billing disputes could cost you.

Comment

Originally posted by OrleansLawyer View Post
        Yes. The answer is always yes.
        All depends on the lawyer really.

Comment

Twice I found my lawyer had padded their hours. I called and said "I have a question about my bill, will you charge me for the time to discuss it?".

They said "no" so we talked about it. They agreed to reduce next bill.

Comment

I guess it comes down to:

Can they? Yes they likely can. Do they? That is lawyer and relationship dependant.

Comment

Twice I found my lawyer had padded their hours. I called and said "I have a question about my bill, will you charge me for the time to discuss it?".

They said "no" so we talked about it. They agreed to reduce next bill.
              That is a mature and effective way to handle it, although I would be concerned about finding padding on the bill.

All depends on the lawyer really.
              Safest to assume yes, and be grateful if you find your bill is less than expected, as opposed to the reverse.

Comment

My previous lawyer charged me for clarifying her instructions on how to send my information to her. I spoke to her about it and she changed it. Needless to say she overcharged me on so many other things---finding articles she had already read and written about--that the minor change in the bill was not an issue.

My big question that I can't get answered (and I called the Law Society) is:

are lawyers required to identify the amount of time spent on each task (this my other lawyer did do).

You do not know what you are really charged for--you just know what they did. Does anyone have the answer to this!!!!

Comment

Thanks to everyone for responses. Orleans Lawyer you made me guffaw.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X