X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When dealing with the FRO

Questions....

1. If I ask the FRO agent assigned to my case who their supervisor is..... Are they required to provide that information to me?

2. Can I request to speak with a supervisor, if I feel that my agent is not doing their job? (if not speak to one at least be able to contact this person by some means)

3. If my agent won't provide this information, then how would I go about having my concerns addressed?

4. Can I request that a new agent be assigned to my case? What are the odds of this happening?

Child is 22yrs old, graduated college, has full time job in his field of study, does not live with CP. CP refuses to inform FRO of this information. Continues to receive full CS.
    Application to discontinue CS filed with FRO.... FRO refuses to process document (which would meaning contacting CP to verify age, graduation, employment, living situation).... FRO agent states that this would be considered harassment as another application was filed 10 months ago.

Originally posted by Spoonz View Post
    Questions....

1. If I ask the FRO agent assigned to my case who their supervisor is..... Are they required to provide that information to me?

2. Can I request to speak with a supervisor, if I feel that my agent is not doing their job? (if not speak to one at least be able to contact this person by some means)

3. If my agent won't provide this information, then how would I go about having my concerns addressed?

4. Can I request that a new agent be assigned to my case? What are the odds of this happening?

Child is 22yrs old, graduated college, has full time job in his field of study, does not live with CP. CP refuses to inform FRO of this information. Continues to receive full CS.
    Application to discontinue CS filed with FRO.... FRO refuses to process document (which would meaning contacting CP to verify age, graduation, employment, living situation).... FRO agent states that this would be considered harassment as another application was filed 10 months ago.
    Skip all that and dealing with the FRO. If the other party in the matter is not responding to the requests gather it all up (emails/whatever) and file an Application to court for an order for the ending of CS payments and repayment of the overpayment.

When you do this, make sure you directly ask for costs to have the motion processed. If the information you provide is true it is short order for a motions judge to order and award your costs.

The expectation is that parents will resolve these kinds of issues together and not need the court but, if the other parent has refused to comply with what is right in accordance with the Guide Lines, Family Law Rules and the CLRA your only option is a court order.

FRO will not do anything until the other parent signs the required consent or you have a court order instructing that CS obligations have ended for the child of the marriage.

You are wasting your time if you think the FRO can do anything about it without the signed consent. The only resolution to an avoidant person who refuses to do what is proper under the above mentioned Rules unfortunately is court.

Good Luck!
    Tayken

Comment

Originally posted by Spoonz View Post
      As I understand FRO, they can only act on mutual agreements through their forms, such as an application to discontinue CS signed by both parents, or on court orders. So the problem isn't with FRO and speaking to a supervisor won't help. If your ex isn't willing to do her part to fill out the form to discontinue CS with FRO, you need to take her to court to get a new court order discontinuing it. FRO needs something to work with.

The situation you describe is clearly good grounds to stop CS payments, backdated to an appropriate date. Either when your son graduated, or found his job or when he moved out, or at the very latest, when you first approached your ex to discontinue CS with FRO. Because she is being unreasonable, you need to take her to court, get the CS ended, and hopefully get an order for her to pay your legal costs and return your overpayment.

Comment

CP refuses to sign for FRO then FRO cannot do anything but continue to collect.

Make a Motion to Change, ask for your support arrears, ask for costs, get the Order terminating support.

Comment

Thank-You for the quick responses.... Thanks for bringing my thought focus back.... Seems I got sidetracked off the best route.....

I am currently waiting documents to be served to do just that..... Got side tracked thinking that FRO was anything more than a collection agency.

Comment

On the "Termination of Event" Form sent to the other party to sign, if they refuse to sign, it clearly states: "that if not completed by the date on the form and the letter, FRO can terminiate collecting payments"; and if one party disagree with the other, they do NOT get involve, a COURT ORDER IS REQUIRED".

Comment

Originally posted by TLCRN View Post
              "that if not completed by the date on the form and the letter, FRO can terminiate collecting payments"; and if one party disagree with the other, they do NOT get involve, a COURT ORDER IS REQUIRED".
              CAN is the operative word in that sentence. They can, but don't have to and regularly won't as they prefer getting a court order.

Comment

The FRO won't stop unless the court order in question specifies the age of the child for stopping the CS or the date of such termination.

I suppose you are paying with PAD. What you can do is either fax the stop the PAD form or call the agent and request over the phone. This will put you in default temporarily. If you are lucky in getting a backdated termination order, the default will go away with the new court order.

FRO agent told me this when I had just signed the court consent to terminate the SS but the order was not yet sent to FRO. It took court+FRO 8 months to process the new order but eventually I was cleared of any arrears.

Also when you file in the court, make sure you serve a copy of such motion to FRO. Very important!

Comment

what a systeme

what a systeme we have anything and everything to make u pay.

Comment

To the best of my knowledge, FRO will only act by what the court order says. So if you want to change child support, you need to get a court order to change it (includes terminating child support). FRO won't change anything without a court order.
                    If you and the other parent can agree to the changes, so much the better. If not, then your only option is to go to court (Motion to Change, if you already have an order or separation agreement filed at court).

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X