This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tugofwar View Post
    What happens if you get new representation and not inform the old one? Can they technically keep charging if they are receiving things from the other lawyer?
    to me, yes. As far as they are concerned they are still representing you and will bill you for services.

Comment

Originally posted by rwm1273 View Post
      This file should have all correspondence between the lawyers, which is great to see what has been discussed, and the position of the other side.
      A related question...Should I have full access to my file at my lawyer's office? I have no idea what kind of dialogue has gone on between my lawyer and ex's. Can I see this correspondence?

Comment

Do lawyers normally charge you for a statement of account? I am so naive, i just don't know enough about how the lawyer world works and i think i'm getting screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoonz View Post
          i think i'm getting screwed.
          You and everyone else here. Spoonz, there are alot of great recommendations on this forum on how to keep your costs lower.

Comment

Originally posted by billiechic View Post
            A related question...Should I have full access to my file at my lawyer's office? I have no idea what kind of dialogue has gone on between my lawyer and ex's. Can I see this correspondence?
            Hey I just found that you should have in your file and access to letters to the lawyer from the opposing lawyer or others and copies of all other letters.

This was in the book "Surviving your Divorce" about firing your lawyer what information should be in the file, I don't see why you can't get copies etc of this even in the event that you are still retaining the same lawyer

Comment

So it's recommended that you should be letting go of lawyer in person.

Also that once paid, the lawyer has two obligations: to return your file to you promptly and to render whatever assistance they can to your new lawyer.

Comment

Just need some clarification, if your lawyer is owed money for work done, they are entitled to be paid before releasing the file. Until the lawyer is paid in full, they have a "solicitor's lien" on the contents of the file.
                "solicitor's lien" on what? Just the file or can and what are the other measures?

Comment

Originally posted by tugofwar View Post
                  This was in the book "Surviving your Divorce" about firing your lawyer what information should be in the file, I don't see why you can't get copies etc of this even in the event that you are still retaining the same lawyer
                  He was my lawyer.

Comment

No way! How did you pull that one? LOL
                    Aren't you glad you contributed directly to such an important cause and not the brand new BMW etc in their driveway.
                    At least maybe you helped fund a few pages.... lol
                    Last edited by tugofwar; 10-18-2010, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Oh yeah, Cochrane was my guy. Mind you, I used his associate most of the time. At $425/hour, he ain't as cheap as she was at $250/hour. I spoke with her the other week though and she's up to $325/hour now.

He's a very personable guy.

I hadn't realized he wrote that book until after I retained him. Spent about $60K with him.

Comment

my lawyer has let me go after 5 months and $20.000 after |i wrote in an email to her that " in hindsight leaving the home before my daughter graduates from grade 12 in june was poor advice. she sent me letter advising that since i think she gave me poor advice I can go find another lawyer. Iam one month away from moving out of my home and a settlement offer is on the table.

Comment

lawyer is letting me go

my lawyer of 5 months and $ 20.000 has her financial administrator email me stating that she will no longer keep me as a client.in an email i wrote " in hindsight you gave me poor advise to leave the matrimonial home before my daughter graduates from grade 12" . My lawyer said that since i think it was bad advise she will no longer represent me. I have an offer to settle on the table and Im set to move out of my matrimonial home on May 1. Iam angry that I could not voice my opinion on an emotionally chrged issue.. What to do now?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X