Procedure for contempt motion??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Procedure for contempt motion??

Can you file a contempt motion without having the issue "heard" at a case conference?? My ex is trying to bully me (IMO) by threatening to file a contempt motion on issues that have not been brought up in our court proceedings to date (eg. non-compliance with section 7 and contribution to RESP as defined by our SA) . Without getting into all the details, its a bit of a case of kettle calling the pot black. Just wondering what the procedural piece of this is? Thanks!

I don't believe you can file a contempt motion for non-payment of money.

Check your provincial rules of court for more information.

Comment

I think the governing rule from Family Law Rules is:

31. (1) An order, other than a payment order, may be enforced by a contempt motion made in the case in which the order was made, even if another penalty is available. O. Reg. 114/99, r. 31 (1).

The key phrase being "other than a payment order" ..

You can find the rules here: https://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/re...s_990114_e.htm

Comment

Thanks for the information. I went to the Rules, as suggested, but am stuck on the word "payment". Does a 'Payment order" include any payment (eg. section 7) or just child or spousal support payment. Any thoughts?

Comment

Just thought I would add to this. Spoke to lawyer today...."Payment" order refers to any order of payment including spousal, child and yes...section 7.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X