Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did you deal with first Christmas alone?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you deal with first Christmas alone?

This is the first Christmas alone with out having my wife around and it hurts. Just curious how other people handled it.

Focused on the kidlets for the first one...since she wasn't "sure if she would have a place to live" (Read: I partied my money away and screwed my landlord on his rent) I had the kids for their vacation.

This year I split the time with their mother, my new girlfriend and I did Xmas with her kids, then by the time we were done with that and had everything cleaned up, it was time to go pick mine up. Definately didn't work out so hot, probably do something different next year.

Comment

My first year without the kids at Christmas.
      We split the vacation in half. She got the first half, I got them Boxing Day at noon and will have them until this Sunday at 6
      It was tough. I spoke with them before bed on Xmas Eve and they called me 3 times on Xmas Day. I am sure that went over well.
      Spent my "down time" with my girlfriend and her family. Made it easier being around good people and good food.

Comment

I cried...the harder i focused on the kids the more i cried!

but its out of the way now!

Comment

Just when you think this is going to be a hard holiday season.

I wasn't suppose to have my children for the first half of the holidays then got a phone call from her asking if I could take them for Christmas. During the 17 days of holidays I had them for 14 days including new years eve and new years day. Didn't ask why either, she has interim custody.

I had already explained to the kids that Christmas was going to be different this year but I would make up for it next year ( because I couldn't afford presents due to the fact that when she left I ended up with ALL financial responsibility plus interim support until its all settled). Of course I didn't tell my kids this, just told them to trust me and everything was going to be back to normal next year.

Once my family found out my situation they went out and bought gifts for them. The deal was I had to wrap them and not tell the kids who they were from. In addition, I came home from work on the 23rd and found a bag with 10 wraped gifts, 5 for my son and 5 for my daughter between the doors. They had their names on it but didn't know who it was from. My family said it wasn't them, I asked my very good friends ( im 99% sure its them now because of a little hand writting investigation) and they claim it wasn't them and to stop worrying were they came from. In addition, my 21yrl son who just came back from military training in Germany 2 weeks ago ( going to afganistan in October ) suprised me by spending the week with us spoiling his little brother and sister to movies, restaurants and museums plus a little shopping trip to town ( Ottawa )

So on Christmas morning when the kids got up, first at 2:30 am then at 6 am (they are 9 and 11 yrs old) they were plenty suprised to see way more gifts than what they expected, I only had 2 each for them. My 11yrl son being older and understanding a bit more than his sitter, asked me why I had said Christmas was going to be different this year. I couldn't miss this oppertunaty to teach my kids a leson in family love and responsibilities and decided to be honest with them ( well somewhat honest) and told them I had help from our family and friends, but I didn't tell them witch gift was from whom.

My first Christmas alone with my kids was spent being happy for my kids therefore making me happy and thankful to have an unconditional support from family and friends. My kids were happy, I was happy

Ya it was good, very good a lot better than what it was going to be.

Comment

Very nice story pally!!!!

That's very heartwarming.

Comment

Wonderful to hear.
              thanks for sharing.
              I too was also the recipient of some wonderful generoustiy from family and friends this year.
              It made a tough time a little better.
              It continues to amaze me how truly lucky one is to have people in your life that will love and support you unconditionally when you are in need

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X