No announcement yet.

Where does she find these suckers?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Quebec there was a law about pay equity. Its quite thorough but things are not as simple as educational requirements, there are a lot of factors that go towards the salary paid.

In my work place out of 20 jobs the majority which were women positions (17/20) only 1 was underpaid and it was in fact a "man/neutral job" but just happened to be occupied by women recently,

Women are stuck behind in terms of earnings because of social construct.

If you opt-out of having a family etc... women can/do out earn men. You can also have a family but do what men do (except for the minimal biological requirement).
    Last edited by Links17; 09-19-2014, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by movingON1975 View Post
      My girlfriend and discuss this alot... well she tells me about it more so...

We both have equivalent difficulty 4 year bachelor degrees, from the same university, we both have provincial professional licenses to practice, we're both fulltime, I work in a male dominated field, she works in a female dominated field. I gross almost twice as much as her..... go figure
      Of course you do, you're a man. Men earn more than women and UNTIL that changes, men will continue to pay spousal support and a high proportion of S7 expenses.

Instead of these men complaining about having to pay spousal support, maybe they should be lobbying on behalf of women to earn equal wages for equal work? This would go a much longer way to reducing the overall $$'s one is expected to pay post-breakup.

You see, if I applied for that "functionally literate" job that pays more than the one that requires a University education I'd be considered "overqualified".

I have a gender neutral first name. An employer has left a message asking that I return their call to schedule an interview. They said "if he could return our call this afternoon, we can schedule the interview for tomorrow". I returned the call and as soon as they realized I was a woman, they all of a sudden "made an error" on their interview selections. So, sorry, but we called the wrong "first name". While gender-neutral it is an uncommon name, so I highly doubt that they had another applicant with that same name.

That's what happens when women apply for the better paid, male dominated jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
        In Quebec there was a law about pay equity. Its quite thorough but things are not as simple as educational requirements, there are a lot of factors that go towards the salary paid.

In my work place out of 20 jobs the majority which were women positions (17/20) only 1 was underpaid and it was in fact a "man/neutral job" but just happened to be occupied by women recently,

Women are stuck behind in terms of earnings because of social construct.

If you opt-out of having a family etc... women can/do out earn men. You can also have a family but do what men do (except for the minimal biological requirement).
        There is a law regarding pay equity. When it was introduced in the company I worked for at the time, this is what happened:

Job titles changed. Job descriptions changed. All of a sudden there were supervisors supervising nobody. Wages, however, did not change. Pay equity is another system to manipulate. You can't determine that a woman is paid less than a man for comparable work IF the job descriptions are different. And, it doesn't take a whole lot of editing to make those job descriptions different enough to warrant unfair wages.

Pay equity isn't required in small organizations, family owned businesses, etc. Unfortunately, it's also where the majority of the population works.

In a decent, unionized company I would expect that this discrepancy doesn't exist....however, how would one really know?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X