Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requesting OCL involment

Hi to all
    New to this forum. Can anyone tell me how to request from the court involvement of the OCL in an affidavit, in response to a motion.

what is OCL?

Comment

Frequently Asked Questions - Ministry of the Attorney General

5. How can I get the Office of the Children’s Lawyer to represent my child in my custody/access case?
      If your case is before the court, the judge can make an order asking the Office of the Children’s Lawyer to become involved.
      You can ask the judge at your next court appearance or bring a motion. If you have a lawyer, speak to him or her about bringing a motion.
      If you want to know how to bring a motion, see rule 14 of the Family Law Rules and the guide to bringing a motion.
      If you don’t have a lawyer and would like to hire one, you can contact the Law Society Referral Service. The referral service will provide a name of a lawyer in your area who practices family law, and who will provide a half-hour free consultation. The telephone number for the service is 1-800-268-8326 or at 416-947-3330 in the GTA.
      If you don’t want to hire a lawyer, you may wish to visit a Family Law Information Centre. Family Law Information Centres have been established in all court districts to meet the needs of people who are involved in the court process, particularly those who are not represented by a lawyer.
      Family Law Information Centres provide free information about the family court process. Court staff are available to provide you with court forms and general information about court procedures.
      A lawyer from Legal Aid Ontario is available at the centres at certain times. The advice lawyer can give general legal information on family law matters free of charge. If you meet the eligibility requirements established by Legal Aid Ontario, the lawyer may be able to give you legal advice specific to your case. For a listing of the Family Law Information Centre locations in Ontario, please visit: www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/family/infoctr_locations.asp.

Comment

Also please keep in mind that the OCL will accept your case at their discretion. You may want to visit their intake criteria before proceeding legally. You wont get the assessment just because it is court ordered.

If you bring forward a motion keep in mind that if the judge doesn't see the significance of OCL to your case, that costs may get awarded against you. Try to get a legal consultation first.

In my case my ex tried relentlessly to get OCL involved but the judge didnt't order it.

Good luck and all the best

Comment

Yes same here. Mom tried to involve OCL but judge refused as there were no clinical issues despite her insistence.

Cautionary note: OCL involvement is invasive. If you really don't need to involve them don't.

Comment

Also note that if your children are 8,9,10 or older then the OCL if they decide to become involved, will become involved under 89(3.1) by assigning a lawyer for the children. This is only to find the views and preferences of the children. Not the Best Interests of the child.
            This means that if your children are 8,9,10 or older no report will be given, no recommendations and no disclosure will be given. Only the views and preferences of the children will be given.

A lawyer will come in and simply state what they think are the views and preferences of the children.
            This also means there is no disputing report, no disputing recommendations as there are none.

As always be careful what you wish for. You may just get it.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X