This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self-represented tomorrow..

There is a review of the restraining order on my ex tomorrow and a first meeting with the clerk. I am self-represented and arguing against a particularly nasty lawyer. I recieved a letter from her, it was nasty, but nothing that could hurt my case, just mud-slinging.

Please keep me in your thoughts. I am nervous to see my ex. The case will likely be adjourned as there has been no response from him. I am submitting a supplemental affadavit and exhibits tomorrow. He is not going to like the pictures of my injuries. My mom and sister will be attending for moral support (and can testify to his abuse if it helps)

I will accept an adjournment and ask the judge to continue the order, but to allow a communication book. I am also asking that he give me temporary legal custody to consent to counselling and surgery for my daughter, or to require my ex to provide immediate written consent if he agrees. If my ex is willing I will ask the judge to "suggest" we attend mediation right away. I am told this is often done if there is any agreement. There is mediation right in the building.

Yes, it is 3am and I am still awake. I needed to make sure everything was in order before my mind could rest. Please keep me in mind tomorrow, I need all the support I can get. Hopefully things will be a little clearer and stable for my daughter and I by this time tomorrow. Thanks for all your help (so far).

Good luck hun!

Comment

Good luck!! Keep us posted!

Comment

You'll kick ass, but good luck anyway!!

Comment

Go billie go! To Russia with love

Comment

Thanks guys!!

Boy was that one of the best and worst experiences ever. my mom served my ex a supplementary affidavit before court, and his lawyer served me his in court. He outright lied through most of it, his lawyer actually asked to put a restraining order on me!!

Anyway, they rescinded the RS. Fine with me, we are communicating via communication book now. THe judge has ordered the status quo is continued, which was devastating at first, until she then ordered that I be the one to make all doctor's appointments and health related appointments ect and keep him informed. She basically gave me a half-assed legal custody (at least for health), which is all I really wanted (to be fair).

The only thing that I don't like is that she ordered week-on, week-off. She is only 3, I think it is a little too long. I stated that I was still willing to negotiate and agreed that 50/50 was still best for her. Hopefully we will be able to do that and I have a 5 day alternative that I think would work much better for all of us.

I have to say that I would NOT recommend anyone else self-defend against a nasty lawyer, esp in an abuse case. It was very hard to check my emotions with him there at first; I felt terribly guilty for letting it get to this point, and sorry for him since he looked so distraught. While I did fine, was articulate and the judge listened to me, I was not familiar with some of the proceedure and almost lost out on the chance to file my affidavit. The clerk himself went to remind her while she was in chambers. I think he spoke for me too, since my sister said he smiled and looked at me when she made the order for her doctor's visits.

So now I don't need his written permission for counselling (though he agreed verbally in court) and he has confirmed that she is having her surgery. I didn't expect the restaining order to be granted in the first place, and the judge said we should continue exchanging at the police station when required.

Thank God today is over.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X