Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Parenting Issues

Parenting Issues This forum is for discussing any of the parenting issues involved in your divorce, including parenting of step-children.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:56 PM

mcdreamy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serene View Post
Beachnana I'm going to disagree with what the lawyer did in your post. All lawyers are bound by a code of conduct. In ontario, rule 6 states that lawyers must respond to correspondence which requires a response in a reasonable amount of time. While the lawyer "works for you" they are still bound by their profession's code of conduct.
Bypass this rule, by advising the OP that we have forwarded the last Somegadzillion emails to our client, am seeking advice from client, will let you know. Rinse, Repeat.

Advising your lawyer to no longer accept communications on your behalf, can work.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:01 PM

mcdreamy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofonegreatboy View Post
Just to be clear, it's not the fact that I have asked that he no longer emails me, it's the fact that he wrote to my lawyer asking that I no longer communicate with him. My lawyer now feels she has a legal obligation ( i.e him asking her to recommend a list of mediators ect.) My lawyer is now in a position to charge me for a long list of his requests or I communicate with him directly (which got us nowhere) and not use her services anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Really, you have to stop the P*ing contests. You have one great boy to raise, with your ex-partner. And you will need to do so, with communication.
If your lawyer can't get that, fire the lawyer, they are most definitely not working in your best interest.

LF32's advice has been the best so far - Our Family Wizard.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:00 PM

stripes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofonegreatboy View Post
Just to be clear, it's not the fact that I have asked that he no longer emails me, it's the fact that he wrote to my lawyer asking that I no longer communicate with him. My lawyer now feels she has a legal obligation ( i.e him asking her to recommend a list of mediators ect.) My lawyer is now in a position to charge me for a long list of his requests or I communicate with him directly (which got us nowhere) and not use her services anymore.

Where is your lawyer getting that from? Your ex is not her client, you are. Tell your lawyer that you do not want her to respond to his emails on your behalf. He can email her all night and all day; she doesn't have to answer him. (Or she can forward the emails to you, and you can instruct her as to how, or even if, you would like her to answer them, although that can get expensive too).

However, you do need to find some way to communicate with your ex. Our Family Wizard has a good track record here.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:06 PM

momofonegreatboy is on a distinguished road

Thanks. My lawyer has informed me numerous times that she has a legal obligation to respond to him. I'm assuming due to her code of conduct and that he doesn't have a lawyer?

It certainly is frustrating when I see X asking my lawyer for referrals on mediators and lawyer telling me she needs to respond.

I will email her this week and propose that X and I communicate via The family Wizard. Hopefully she will stay out of the line of fire and my legal bill won't be ridiculous.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:10 PM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

if I was you I would have a back up plan to the family wizard. I cannot see your ex doing it when he will have to pay. The way it is now it isn't costing him money.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:17 PM

I wish I had a back up plan. He has shot down mediation, a four way settlement mgt (when he had a lawyer), a communication log book, and lastly me sending communication emails concerning our son to his partner.

I don't really want to let my lawyer go due to not really knowing what I'm doing half the time.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:30 PM

stripes is on a distinguished road

Tell your lawyer to answer any communications from your ex with the following:

"I have received your message concerning xxx. I will consult with my client and respond accordingly. Sincerely, "

Nothing more than that, until you direct her otherwise. Don't "propose" this to her, TELL her.

Your lawyer absolutely does not have to respond to his requests for lists of mediators (he's heard of the Yellow Pages, right?) and other busywork. I would love to see the "legal duty" which compels her to act as reference librarian for the opposing party in her client's case and then bill her client.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:36 PM

Thank you. I will take your advice. My gut also told me the same.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:09 AM

shirley1011 is on a distinguished road

take your lawyer off record. you can always put her back on when needed but makes you self rep and ex will have to figure out to deal with you
Old 11-27-2014, 07:37 PM

Tonight I received an email from my lawyer. She basically fwd me my ex's email to her concerning a pair of prescription glasses he found for our son (I took son to eye doctor and submitted prescription in communication log book that never came back)

Now dad is asking lawyer (because he has asked that I don't communicate with him and I asked the same) to advise me on where the glasses are to be purchased and how much they cost.

My lawyer already responded to him in saying that she will advise me. Now she's asking me how I would like for her to proceed with this email and all the others he's been emailing her about.

All I want to scream is 'get your own lawyer!'

I will certainly tell my lawyer to not waste her time and waste my money when he can simply use other facets of communication.

Tags
communication, lawyer fees, mediation