No announcement yet.

How to bring up the subject of FRO/MEP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to bring up the subject of FRO/MEP?

Got a question on behalf of a friend of a friend (really, it's not me):

Divorced, two kids, joint custody and primary residence with Mom. Dad pays ~$1500 CS per month, generally reliable but not always. Holds CS payments over Mom - do what I say or I won't give you your cheque.

Mom would like to have payments routed through the Alberta equivalent of FRO (MEP) so she isn't worrying about whether Dad will make his payment every month. However, she is afraid of bringing up the topic with Dad because she's worried he will get angry and stop paying altogether (and yes, this is psychologically complex). Does anyone have suggestions for how to bring this up with Dad in a non-threatening way? Are there any advantages to the payor (Dad) of going through MEP rather than giving Mom a cheque every month, which Mom might be able to leverage?

And before anyone asks - there are no access issues, Dad has kids regularly EOW + holidays, and has never indicated that he wants more (or less) time.

I don't believe she has to discuss it with him at all, she should.just be able to file with MEP.

Comment

Guy sounds like an a-one ahole.
      Benefit for HER is that she will indeed get paid each and every month (if he has a steady job from where MEP can collect from) without having to put up with the guy's antics.

He very well might refuse to pay MEP voluntarily at first but MEP will simply get it from the employer. She should brace herself for a 60 day period at the start. However, MEP will be on the payor AGGRESSIVELY and expect him to make up payments immediately.

Once she starts receiving her money through MEP she will wonder why she didn't do this in the first place.

Advantage for him is that he has one more reason to not have anything to do with his ex (no money talk)

I agree with Blink - be done with it -no discussion, just file with MEP.

Comment

Do it without discussion for sure, but better be financially prepared for those 60 days in which there will be a delay. I doubt that he will want to continue to pay directly in the interim.

Comment

He will be instructed by MEP to NOT pay her directly as soon as they receive the paperwork (Order). I believe they will initially send him a notification to contact them to set up automated payments from his bank account. He will have a certain amount of days to respond. If he does not respond then they don't waste any time and put a garnishee with his employer. In some cases they skip the step#1 and just go directly to the employer. For further information you can go to the website.

http://justice.alberta.ca/programs_s...s/default.aspx

look for "how it works" and go from there
          Last edited by arabian; 11-20-2014, 10:09 AM.

Comment

I'm also in favour of "Just do it" without discussion. If he had a spotless payment record, that would be one thing, but he doesn't, so just go ahead, I don't think there is any point in discussing it.

Comment

Great advice everyone. I will pass it along.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X