Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

New posts


  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2014, 03:41 PM
tlwa tlwa is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Petawawa
Posts: 24
tlwa is on a distinguished road
Default CRA refund issue

Hi All,

I pay my ex a large amount of SS in relations to what i earn. I also owe according to FRO a large amount of arrears. so when i get a refund from CRA it is payed to FRO.

My question is this. I Revenue Canada pays my $4000.00 to FRO and my Ex can i claim that money the following year on my tax return as money I paid as SS?

hope the question makes sense.
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:53 PM
standing on the sidelines standing on the sidelines is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 5,695
standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

I think you could, but I am no expert. You are paying it, its just that FRO is taking it from the refund you would have got. I am thinking even if it is arrears, you should be able to claim it.

The only thing I can think of that maybe a problem is if your court order says you pay (general numbers) 5000 a year for SS. You pay your 5000 plus FRO gets your refund for say 1000 for that year also. In the end you pay (direct and indirectly) 6000 to fro. Not sure if CRA only accepts the court ordered amount as the tax-deductible amount so you wouldn't get credit for the 1000.

Maybe ask an accountant?? Or CRA themselves?
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:35 PM
DunnMom DunnMom is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: On-Tar-IoOoO
Posts: 294
DunnMom is on a distinguished road

Are the arrears for SS or CS or both?
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:36 PM
annapurna66 annapurna66 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 164
annapurna66 is on a distinguished road

If you and your ex-spouse are both claiming and giving credit for the same spousal amount then I don't think you will have a problem. I have been claiming spousal support for 10 years now....and my ex frequently claims a higher amount than I do. Although this is not proper, he has yet to be audited. I don't think that the CRA has a direct line to FRO. FRO collects "support" but does not delineate what is spousal and what is child. I believe that your court order would be more important in this regard. If you need to know what FRO has garnished you can request a statement...first one is free...after than you pay. Maybe this would suffice for CRA?
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"equalization of net family property" - a new issue from ex nick2009 Divorce & Family Law 7 07-28-2010 09:07 PM
I need help with a spousal support issue peter41 Financial Issues 1 04-08-2010 08:04 AM
Tax Refund and Vacation pay ultraviolet3 Financial Issues 4 05-14-2009 09:38 AM
Contructive Trust/Property Issue GORNATA Common Law Issues 0 04-13-2009 12:18 PM
Garnisheed income tax refund yearsgone Financial Issues 2 12-05-2008 11:54 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:25 AM.