Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 08:13 AM

Toooldforthis is on a distinguished road
Default Now what??

Good morning. I separated from my husband of 34 years just over a year ago. Upon first separating, my husband was giving me 800.00 per month for support and he was allowing me to continue to use his medical benefits. As there were funds that needed to be dealt with in regard to equalization I approached him on this issue and he became very irate and cut me off from receiving any support. I found this site and after a couple of posts got myself a lawyer but now find that I’m no further ahead. He threatened to quit his job if I pursued a separation agreement (a message he left on my answering machine that is now in my lawyer’s possession). After our first case conference (a Friday), he went on sick leave (the following Monday) for a period of three months. We just had our second case conference Feb. 18th where we signed an agreement. He called me the following Monday to get information regarding my account number, social insurance number etc. in order to proceed with transferring of funds. Since that time nothing has occurred and he has once again stopped working as of March 8th. I see a pattern appearing here so it is possible that he is trying to carry out his threat by going on sick pay and eventually getting fired….I don’t know. This is a man who may have missed a grand total of 8 or 9 days off in the course of our marriage. During all of this I applied for and am receiving ODSP but there still is the matter of equalization and ODSP does require that I seek spousal support. Anyway, my question is now that an agreement has been signed, does a judge make an order as per the agreement and that’s it or now that my ex is not following through on his end of the agreement will I have to go to trial? I’ve called my lawyer a couple of times but he’s been in court and I thought I might get an answer quicker on here. Thanks in advance for your anticipated responses.
Closed Thread