This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imputed Income

How is this decided? What circumstances are taken into consideration. Does attending full time school affect the amount of imputed income assigned to you?

That would depend on the reason behind attending school.

Comment

Reason for school was to obtain a GED, which was needed in order to attend college. Reason for attending college was to better himself in order to obtain a better paying job.

Comment

Sounds reasonable.

Imputed income is used more often for self employed workers. It is often hard to determine what a persons actual income from a T4 when they are self employed and write off many things that everyone else can't.

It is also used to force a parent to earn a salary that they are capable of earning, but refuse to.

For example if a payer normally work in field A earning 6 figures, but then once divorce started, quit to work in filed B earning minimum wage so as to get out of support obligations, and to stick it to the other parent, then their salary is imputed.

In my situation I had my salary imputed because I worked and earned my income in a foriegn country, and our judge erred by imputing Canadian Taxes to my income. It was overturned later and corrected when I changed jobs and got back into court to have my income set to my actual earnings. Out judge who did this was a former tax lawyer, and therefore knew how the tax should have been handled.

My ex also had her income imputed becasue she purposely under worked so she could still be eligable for legal aid. This was done for section 7 issues, and was a way the judge helped to offset what I was paying in matrimonial debt.

Comment

GED you do not have to attend school. If you are a a mature student you can study at home and take a weekend course then write the exam

What is GED? - ILC.org - Ontario Distance Education High School

also, i have taken a colleg diploma course without my Highschool or GED, some courses after a few years allow entrance as a mature student who did not finish HS

Comment

Frustrated -

Point taken, thanks for the reality check.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X