This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple question but can't find an answer

My ex and I are trying to do a do-it-yourself divorce, nothing is being contested and we wrote up our own separation agreement. Started looking at the divorce forms tonight and my question is this - I am the sole owner of our "matrimonial home" he simply signed a form that as my spouse he gives me permission to buy it. He wants nothing from the house and says it is all mine, which we wrote in the agreement. In the divorce form (we are filing jointly) it says just to fill out that form if there is no claim or matter that we want the courts to rule on, however there is a financial statement form that says you should fill it out if the applicant is claiming exclusive possession of the matrimonial home. If there is no contest and he has already agreed to let me keep the house, do I still need to complete this form?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

I would think not as you both have agreed to everything. I would still make sure by going through the proper channels and change the deed/title on the house to reflect the sole ownership.

Comment

Thank you! It is only my name on the title and I have contacted the lawyer who handled the purchase of my property to find out what is required to ensure it is fully in my name.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X