This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arbitration pro rata split

I will be entering arbitration with my X to re evaluate our parenting plan, ( I will have many questions later about this). For now, they are saying they will pay pro rata according to our "current" incomes. She chose to quit work and go back to school (she claims she has no income now). My question is.. Is arbitration kept strictly to "current" income or does it get pro rata'd at a later date when we exchange our lines 150 of our 2013 income tax.
    Her lawyer says that it is according to current only and it cannot be changed if she gets a job later this year which would change her income.
    Any ideas?
    Thank you

Why is it not 50-50?

Comment

Originally posted by OrleansLawyer View Post
      Why is it not 50-50?
      Would that not make it harder for the lower income parent to bring matters to arbitration?

Comment

Originally posted by OrleansLawyer View Post
        Why is it not 50-50?
        I will ask the same question,why is it not 50-50?

What is the reasoning?

My mediation and arbitration was 50-50 and the disparity in our incomes was/is quite large.

Comment

I am not sure why it is not 50/50. Last time it was not 50/50 either. It was pro rata and when we did our line 150 for taxes, it was reconciled. Now, her lawyer is saying pro rata but according to current income (which she makes no money as she quit her job). Her lawyer said no reconciliation will be done in the future either. Is it set in stone to be 50/50? I don't even mind the pro rata, but she will be getting a job once she finishes school in May. That way she would be earning income by the end of the year to help offset the total cost for myself.

Comment

Would that not make it harder for the lower income parent to bring matters to arbitration?
            I'm sure if they rented the same apartment it would be harder for the lower income parent to pay their rent. That is one of the drawbacks of having a lower income.

Her lawyer said no reconciliation will be done in the future either.
            That would be nice. Legal foundation for same?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X