Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 08:17 AM

bowditch is on a distinguished road
Default Temporary Seperation - N.B.

My husband says he needs a "break". Because I have a relatives summer cottage I can stay at, I have agreed to leave our home for a month to give him time to make some decisions. Could he bar me from returning to home (change the locks) legally?
Old 05-24-2009, 10:21 AM

thistoshallpass is on a distinguished road

Is your name on the mortgage ? is this the matrimonial home? are there children involved ?
Old 05-24-2009, 12:24 PM

bowditch is on a distinguished road

We own our home, in both names.
No children.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:06 PM

thistoshallpass is on a distinguished road

Your home is owned jointly 50/50, that said it is not a good idea to leave your home without protecting your assets. It may be advisable that you consult a lawyer before making any move. Possibly having something down on paper. If you don't have a lawyer, the law society has a lawyer referral, for $6 billed on your phone bill they will give you the name of a lawyer in your area where you can get a 30 min consultation free.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:21 PM

billm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistoshallpass View Post
...It may be advisable that you consult a lawyer before making any move..
Just remember the lawyer works for YOU. By this I mean that when the lawyer does or says something it is on your behalf, so you should not let them do or say anthing that you would not. Remember to not let the tail wag the dog (you are the dog (no offence!), and the lawyer is the tail.

Lawyers are like acid, good in some cases to remove things but if you are not careful they will ruin everything!

Good luck to you. When someone wants time to think they will usually end the relationship because they have already made up their minds, they just have not accepted it. Also, they want you to change, but the only way they can stay with you is if THEY change. If they were capable of changing themselves they would have done so and the whole 'should I stay married to you' issue would never come up! A lot of people don't recognize this simple fact. I am assuming that most people would consider you a good spouse and a normal person when I say this.

Last edited by billm; 05-24-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Closed Thread