This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• responsibility after split

Do I have any responsibility toward my x's debt (incurred after the split) four years after our split?

I would think not... unless it is a joint credit card or account and your name is on it.

I assume split as in your not (living) together and divorce finalized?

Comment

Well we had a joint bank account for the mortgage/house expenses, etc. I have not used the account since we split in 2003. He continued living in the house until last year when it was sold and we split the profits.... I assumed that closed all accounts. Apparently he continued using the account and it's now overdrawn. Am I liable? I've never been contacted about this before. I was informed that the account has been closed. I have no idea where the 'x' is now.

Comment

unfortunately if your name is still there then yes you are liable.......my current & I have been caught in similar circumstance and even with lrgal documents bank doesnt care.....you pay the debt then you have to take other party to civil court to get your money back

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X