Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Ontario law gives grandparents some rights to grandchildren Bill 34 will force co

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paris View Post
    My sons girlfriend was adopted. She doesn't have much of a relationship with her adoptive Mom who only saw my grandaughter twice when she was first born. They haven't spoken for a year.
    that is so sad. I have a cousin who is adopted and had a wonderful relationship with her adopted parents (both now deceased) and her bio siblings once she found them. Another friend found her bio family and has a great relationship with both.

I hope if something does happen that you do get custody as you seem to have stepped up to be active in the childs life.

Comment

Thank you sots. She was adopted with one of her siblings. She has met her real Mom and a couple of other siblings. They were all taken away for extreme reasons, and those reasons are still a concern. They were taken away too late and the memories they have still cause issues for all of them. She doesn't feel really connected to any of them. It's sad, but we've seen so much improvement in her socially over the last couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
        The bright side:

Any parent with ever-other-weekend BS can now have their parents join as a party to seek additional access. The EOW parent then can use this access time to increase their access.

For EOW parents that used to have their children stay with grandparents for overnight visits can possibly leverage this additional time to increase their access to the children. In fact, they may be able to leverage this additional access time that they spend with the children to grow access.

The downside is that this will only add to the legal complexity of family law matters and make access schedules even more crazy to manage for parents.

Why I think this whole grandparent "stuff" is nonsense. Until such time the Federal Government explicitly states that custody and access is joint unless a compelling reason of Violence and Abuse is proven beyond all reasonable doubt by any party this grandparent access was a waste of resources.

Mostly it covers the edge case of when a parent dies or when a parent has no access to a child to facilitate access with their own parents.

Also parents today already have enough financial strain with child care costing 1,200-1,600 a month in some provinces. A 50,000 legal bill doesn't help the situation at all... The retired generation owns the majority of the wealth currently in Canada. We all know that those who have more money often have more access to legal resources. Rich grandparents can and will make life hell for the next generation. Great job government!
        Totally agree!
        If this situation arises, it is usually in an already stressful situation. Wish I could decide what kind of influence is in my child's life and decide how much or what kind of access happens with my kids grandparent, especially a controlling psychopath who wants to prove a point that they can get what they want and have nothing better to do. I could go on an all out rant here, but I will just leave it at that.

Comment

really make the grandparents pay child support ??? so the father never had life insurance ??? its all about the money , jeez

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X