Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Contempt of court in Family law. Any stories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tmsrtl View Post
    - kids taken from school during the week to go to a hotel (without notice)
    Unless that happens often, don't bother.

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
      Unless that happens often, don't bother.
      you know, I agree with you; it just floors me that one side can do anything. If I did it, police and even the UN would be sent to get me!

all with the great name "best interest of the children", what it means, very few people actually know!

Comment

My partners ex pulls a lot of the "you never follow the agreement" when she has breached almost every clause shes responsible for including access, providing info, taking kids out of the city etc. He contemplated contempt for withholding access and even had strongly worded letters from a lawyer sent (it worked two times out of three) but his current lawyer said its not worth it. Contempt is a steep hill and works for some people in extreme circumstances.

All of these people follow the rule of "do as I say not as I do".

Comment

My question, to anyone who can provide a response is: does it matter if the court order in question has been settled; i.e., signed and entered? Has anyone successfully or unsuccessfully pursued a contempt motion for an order that the other party just refused to sign?

Comment

Has anyone successfully or unsuccessfully pursued a contempt motion for an order that the other party just refused to sign?
            The Order is made from the day the Judge makes it, not the day that it is issued in an approved form.

It is briefly addressed at paragraph 36 of this decision:
            https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onsc/do...4onsc2738.html

However, if they refuse to sign the Order, why not take steps to have it issued as per Rule 25?

Comment

Originally posted by OrleansLawyer View Post
              The Order is made from the day the Judge makes it, not the day that it is issued in an approved form.

It is briefly addressed at paragraph 36 of this decision:
              https://www.canlii.org/en/on/onsc/do...4onsc2738.html

However, if they refuse to sign the Order, why not take steps to have it issued as per Rule 25?
              OK thanks OL. Settling the order will not happen between now and Christmas, but denial of parenting time might happen hence the question.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X