Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disaster is looming here...my 4yo is heading into a FRENCH-ONLY (not french immersion) JK, with NO french comprehension or speaking skills. Even after a few months of very basic prep by mom (numbers, colours, body parts, clothing), a week of french exposure/instruction (at a Quebec music camp with me), 2 weeks in paris with mom. After personally seeing her reactions in a french-only environment, I cringe when I imagine her upcoming stress.
    Last edited by dinkyface; 08-16-2011, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dinkyface View Post
      Disaster is looming here...my 4yo is heading into a FRENCH-ONLY (not french immersion) JK, with NO french comprehension or speaking skills. Even after a few months of very basic prep by mom (numbers, colours, body parts, clothing), a week of french exposure/instruction (at a Quebec music camp with me), 2 weeks in paris with mom. After personally seeing her reactions in a french-only environment, I cringe when I imagine her upcoming stress.
      Hi Dinkyface:
      I can totally understand your fear; I had the exact same fear with my own children when they began school. I lived in a bilingual town, my husband is french (but never spoke it in the home with the children ever), I am English through and through, and couldn't comprehend how the children could POSSIBLY succeed in such an environment. I thought of absolutely every reason why it would NOT succeed, how the kids would suffer etc., that I never listened to the experience other parents were speaking to me about.

And that experience was this: the children CAN and DO succeed! I saw it with my own eyes. My daughter's friends, who were french illiterate like herself, were speaking it within days, reading at normal levels etc.

Had I ever witnessed this prior to enrolling the children into school, I very well would have still chosen to not put them into french because I could only list all the possible BAD things that could happen; I could never see past my own ego to realize that this would be an incredible learning experience for them.

I am in no way saying your ex's decision is the better one. But may I suggest this: Please speak to the administrator with whom you have been in contact and ask him if he would be willing to put you in touch with another parent(s) who chose this path for their child to see what their experience has been.

While I don't regret my decision, per say, what I do wish is that I had been more open minded about the entire process and made the effort to educate myself about the facts instead of basing the choice on my fear.

All the best of luck of to you. One of the greatest gifts I have ever received during my "divorce" days is that having to face my biggest fears have always turned out to be the wolf in granny's clothing; for some obscure reason when those fears are faced, they become huge blessings (for me at least).

Comment

Thanks mom2three - good to know some success stories. My friend is separated from bilingual dad, and their daughter was in a similar situation - and succeeded. She and daughter spoke no french, but daughter survived in french-only JK - though her girl first reacted by with a period of physical aggression, beating up the other kids (she's naturally dominant). My daughter is more fearful/clingy, so I expect that will be exaggerated.

Comment

Your child will overcome.
          She will struggle at first, but it won't take long before she catches on.

Please give the process a chance.
          This is an amazing opportunity for you child. You should brush up on your french to help it along.

Comment

Is there any way to get a translator to attend parent teacher meetings or anything like that? I know this is a stretch and likley expensive but if you are unable to negotiate this or it does not work out.. why not get a translator to attend at the school. You could also ask to have email communication with the teachers on an ongoing basis (something not uncommon anymore) and have a translator (I would use a live person not google translate) to translate the messages into English for you and then your into French to send back.

This is not perhaps the most financially practical way but if all else fails then you will be able to have ongoing communication with the school. Also I would personally brush up on my French because it will be hard to help with homework with the language barrier.

Finally DO NOT let this make you take a step back. BE INVOLVED with your child's education, do not let mom take the lead on this leaving you as the uninvolved parent.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X