Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

March Break - includes both adjacent weekends?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March Break - includes both adjacent weekends?

Does anyone know the normal or usual arrangement for taking march break when
    - march break alternates yearly between parents
    - usual schedule is 'every other weekend (Fri after school to Sun 7pm), plus every Weds overnight'

Specifically, does the parent who gets march break also take both adjacent weekends, or just their normal weekend (which might lie before or after the march break)?

I would say that the break is the school week. If the intention was to include the weekends it should have been written in.

That said, there should be some flexibility, like taking both weekends for a long trip and then missing the next weekend.

Comment

My March Break clause read substantially like:

March Break. Mom and Dad agree to share March Breaks with Child . Dad shall be entitled to March Break in all even numbered years and Mom shall be entitled to March Break in all odd numbered years. March Break is defined as 5:30pm on the last day of school immediately prior to the commencement of March Break until 5:00pm the day prior to school resuming.

Comment

It all depends on how it is written in your agreement, or how you two can work it out. If you prefer to have them both weekends speak to the other parent about it, but remember that you will be responsible for that as well, meaning next year you may miss out on the weekend you are to have child(ren).

Comment

In my case, both my ex and I plan on taking D6 on trips over the March Break. This year, I am going to St. Lucia. We fly out on Sunday and return on the following Sunday.

My ex took D6 on a Disney cruise last year and is planning on doing again in 2013, so she will also need the full week. I feel it is mutually agreeable and in both of our best interests because of the fact there aren't many 4-5 day trips.

Comment

I have experience with this issue.

It should only be the 5 days (School Days) when there is a 50/50 custody.

Here is why: Parent A has March Break this year 2012 but it is Parent B's normal rotation to have the child that week. Then Parent B will not have or see the child for 3 weeks since Parent a will have them for their first week, March Break Week and then again (upon normal rotation/schedule) the third week.

I've seen this happen where 2 Parents can not work together and Parent A would not offer any make up period and has repetitively stated that March Break includes the weekends. Parent B says "No" so that the child could at least be seen during the weekend prior to March Break and not be gone for so long.

Now if you have 2 parents who can work together it is ok but otherwise it should be very detailed on what days March Break is. Same for Easter Weekend and other holidays. Is Thanksgiving the whole weekend or Just Monday???

Comment

Originally posted by Frustrated_DAD View Post
              Here is why: Parent A has March Break this year 2012 but it is Parent B's normal rotation to have the child that week. Then Parent B will not have or see the child for 3 weeks since Parent a will have them for their first week, March Break Week and then again (upon normal rotation/schedule) the third week.
              But then again, there will be other years when it is Parent B's week and Parent A will be subject to the same scenario. In the end, it all comes out in the wash.

The reality is both parents are equally affected, thus neither receive any particular benefit.

Yeah, it may suck having to miss out on the some. But then benefit of receiving the extra time other years will balance it out.

My agreement provides for similar wording for our long weekend clause (holidays). My ex and I rotate long weekends. We've defined 5 long weekends a year and we get every other one. So one year she gets 3 and I get 2. Next year, vice versa. Long weekends override the regular parenting time schedule, so there will be times when either my ex or I get 3 weekends in a row. In the end, it doesn't make much difference because it balances out over time.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X