X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minutes of Settlement

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGG,

I'm so frustrated. We are trying desperately to settle this matter before trial. Which could happen any day now, we are on the trial list waiting to be called. So here's the new clincher. I have an offer to settle on the table, which they want some changes made. OK, no problem, we all need to compromise in Family Law. Now that's no good any more, they want it the form of Minutes of Settlement. I say, whats the difference, except that I now have to pay my lawyers to redo the format. Thanks for letting me vent my frustration.

My real question is whats the difference between signing an Offer to Settle or Minutes of Settlement?
    Last edited by Grace; 03-28-2006, 09:02 PM.

Grace,

Why don't they send you a counter offer with agreed changes made. Let the other party pay for the drafting of this document. If you lawyer drafts the document the cost will be more significant than just your lawyer reviewing their counter offer.

LV

Comment

It is probably best if my lawyers draft them, as my ex is self represented and only hires lawyers to review the offers. He has gone through so many lawyers, they are not familiar with the file. It his latest lawyer that wants the Offer to Settle written up in the form of Minutes.

I have no doubt that he wont live up to the agreement, so i do want to make sure the wording will stand up in court.

Comment

I'm curious if you ever got an answer on this, Grace? Through PM or maybe through your lawyer? I've been keeping tabs on this post to see what the answer was...

Comment

Sasha1

No, I never got an answer why the format changed from an Offer to Settle, to Minutes of Settlement. I will be seeing my lawyers on the weekend, I will ask them, then post back their answer. To me it seemed like a waste of lawyers time, which equates into $$$. Then to make it even more confusing, once the minutes of settlement were agreed to, it got completely re-written into a court order. Family Law can be complicated.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X