This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severely confused, and need help understanding

Okay My husband and I recently learned that his ex spouse had her 2nd car accident in a year, as we have dug deeper to get more info about the accident (because my husbands name is on the lien with the bank she never refi'd and or removed it) we find out she totaled the car. Now she is behind in child support not by much only $100 but the point is this is not the first time and FRO has been garnishing her wages to pay her monthly support because of ongoing issues....so anyways she gets an insurance check...FRO sends her a warning letter ....she phones them and says she cannot pay she is broke, and shes going to court anyways.....Can someone please explain this to me?

Oh and her and her boyfriend, conjugal partner, common law, or whatever she is calling him this week have new, used vehicles.

Comment

ANd its extremely odd that with such a aevere accident there isnt a scratch on her.

Comment

Depending on the age of the car, it's not hard to "total" them. Insurance considers a car "totaled" if the cost to repair is roughly the same as the cost to replace.

I've seen a car "totaled" by hitting a dog while going 30km/h. Go twist the frame on a vehicle (which is easier than you'd think) and see how easy THAT is to fix.

Anyway, of course she's going to play the "I'm broke" card. that's pretty typical. (Hell MY ex is still doing it, despite leaving behind a crap load of pay stubs that indicate what she's made so far this year)

And I would also expect her insurance rates to take a Ginormous increase if this is her second accident in so short a time.

Comment

Yes well we are in litigation, as you know...if a Judge cannot see through this I dont what the heck to do, I have no clue how nurse that has the earning potential of 86k, and now making about 75-80k paying only about 275 in rent can be broke...

Comment

To ConcernedStepMom, Nothing much more to explain then some one putting their own needs before the needs of their children. Just think how much it will suck when she can't drive her fancy new car because her licence was suspened by FRO etc.

As for "totalling" the car, I agree with NBDad. It does not take much to have your car written off these days. If you are even in a minor accident and your airbags deploy (costs lots of $$ to repack them!) your car will be written off. It is a cost vs. value thing.

Comment

She told FRO she is broke and they wont do anyhting further at thispoint...they are already garnishing from her wages to maintain monthly supposrt...so her arrears will simply come out in her next cheque

Comment

anyone know what the first 2 letters in an accident occurence # means?

Comment

If it means what i think it means...then I will be damned

Comment

What I meant by this if the first t2 letters represent the name...that means her bf smashed her car

Comment

Seriously I think this is a case of Insurance fraud but I dont know what can be proven....there was 7k left on loan, she had mentioned earlier that she would have it paid off by end of year this year. What a great way to pay it off, and her new car isnt fancy...but IDK this whole situation seems peculiar and when were in litigation trying to determine custody and access this may play a big part

Comment

My 2 cents.

I don't see you being able to do much with this unless you can prove insurance fraud. Can you prove she is hiding money somewho?
                        It is what you can prove that is important, not what you know or think you know.
                        I don't know what difference it would make in a custody and access battle anyway. But I am a novice at the moment in these matters..

Comment

well in our circumstance the mom moved 100km away when the parents had shared care she is driving 8 yr old back and forth 2-3 days per week and now in 2nd car accident in a year.
                          Mom wants to keep 50/50 and keep driving girl back and forth. says its no diff then country school nus rides...etc...

Comment

and welcome to the forum Paul

Comment

I see, intersting angle. So you need to prove she is an unsafe driver then. Talking out loud it would make a better case then if it was her driving in both those crashes.

I don't know of any kids that do a 100km bus ride to school. So I don't think it is the same.

I never understand why Parents move away and make things even wost for the children regarding transportation, access, different school etc.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X