Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRO Conference

Good Day!!

I have filed and served MTC and all required docs. Ex has filed and served Response. First appearance has been completed and we now move to DRO Conference. I want to ensure that I follow all necessary procedures as I am unrepresented. Can anyone tell me whether or not Case Conference Brief's need to be filed and served before our DRO Conference? It would make sense that yes, they do require them. Should I be treating this conference the same as a regular case conference with a judge? I do understand that a DRO cannot make a final order, but my understanding is, that they can advise on how a judge would more than likely rule on our issues. Is this also correct? Any advise or input would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by Busch View Post
    Good Day!!

I have filed and served MTC and all required docs. Ex has filed and served Response. First appearance has been completed and we now move to DRO Conference. I want to ensure that I follow all necessary procedures as I am unrepresented. Can anyone tell me whether or not Case Conference Brief's need to be filed and served before our DRO Conference? It would make sense that yes, they do require them. Should I be treating this conference the same as a regular case conference with a judge? I do understand that a DRO cannot make a final order, but my understanding is, that they can advise on how a judge would more than likely rule on our issues. Is this also correct? Any advise or input would be greatly appreciated.

Yes what you said is true. Don’t expect much to come from it. Many larger courts hold them as a way to reduce conference appearances but it doesn’t work in my opinion.

You will need to file a conference brief and expect to hear a lot of talking from the DRO.

Comment

Originally posted by Busch View Post
      Can anyone tell me whether or not Case Conference Brief's need to be filed and served before our DRO Conference?
      The Dro Case Conference is still a regular Case Conference where briefs are required.

Should I be treating this conference the same as a regular case conference with a judge?
      Absolutely! Everything is still the same where a judge can sign off on any order or agreement. This works great imo. New applications need a judge's help with their 1st CC. MTC's have already been through the process and know what to expect. No need for judge or courtroom.

I do understand that a DRO cannot make a final order, but my understanding is, that they can advise on how a judge would more than likely rule on our issues.
      They still have access to judges to get them to sign off on anything needed. The DRO will give their opinion, encourage settlement and order any disclosure needed. Address any important issues, then book your Settlement Conference.

Comment

Thank You @Rockscan and @ StillPaying.
        Greatly appreciate the advice. Breifs have been completed and will be served tomorrow!!

Comment

Awesome! Hopefully you can get what is owed. Too bad this guy never learns!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

DRO conference was held today. DRO suggested that EX would have a hard time being excused from his obligations. DRO then offered mediation, another DRO conference or going direct to Settlement Conference in front of a Judge. Ex wants mediation and then another DRO conference as he feels this will be resolved quicker this way. I have already filled in the intake form for Mediation.
            I know my ex. We will not come to an agreement. Are we just prolonging the inevitable of being seen by a judge? Settlement Conferences are being booked well into April and Ex stated he didn't want to wait that long to resolve our issues. Can I just forego the mediation and second DRO conference and request settlement Conference? Comments, Questions, Concerns.

Comment

If you can book a settlement conference I would. I could be wrong on if you can or not so don’t take my advice in that case. You could always tell him you booked it in case you reach an agreement in mediation.

More than likely he’s hoping to stall to avoid paying but what he doesn’t get is he is still obligated to pay no matter how long he drags this out AND he runs the risk of costs.

Has he provided all relevant income details? Have you made an offer to settle? Book the mediation, make an offer and then if possible, book the settlement conference. That way if you reach an agreement through mediation you can cancel the SC.

I think your ex was the one who dragged you through all this shit before (mediation, conferences etc.) and then still didn’t settle until the very end right? He’s probably thinking he can do it again. What a jerk.

Comment

You should have booked a sc. Mediation, offers and settlement could have happened while waiting for the sc. You could've brought a motion before then if needed as well. If ex wanted to resolve this, they would have before mtc was filed. You'll need to do another case conference now.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X