How to "word" request for S.7 support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FB_ View Post
    Sorry you are correct... S7 was thrown around a lot.

Nothing wrong with a polite letter... Although I still stand by my statement of personal responsibility.

I agree with personal responsibility, I totally do.

I have a 17 year old, hard working nephew. The kid is a treat - up early and ready to put in a day's work. He's a saver, not a spender and definitely not a partier. He's not spending his money on what I spent my money on at his age.

Even so, he struggles to pay his portion of car insurance, while maintaining his own cell phone bill (which teaches responsibility as well) and paying for his fuel, clothing and entertainment.

The kid could have saved every dime he's made since he started school this academic year, and still not have enough money to pay for it.
    Last edited by MS Mom; 02-25-2014, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MS Mom View Post
      It's a paid training program. Once they complete the apprenticeship, they have a college diploma, but that diploma doesn't cost them anything.

Registered apprentices do a annual 4-10 week session (depending on the trade) at college, but even those courses only cost $400 each to the student. The rest is Ministry sponsored.

Registered apprentices also collect EI while in school. And, they only serve their two week waiting period for the EI once per entire trade school (up to 5 years) - if the layoff is for the purpose of school.
      Ah makes sense! Was just curious. Thanks!

Comment

I am not unsympathetic either. Whether or not driver's ED is s7 varies. I do believe, in this case, that it is as their respective incomes aren't very high. OP having no income at all is an issue for her, as she can't have an income of zero. Either she is making money or someone is supporting her and thus an income should be attributable to OP.

For $550, it simply be split 3 ways. Yeah, you could ask for proportional, but be prepared to have everything delayed while your ex argues that you having an income of $0 is unfair and that an income should be imputed to you. Splitting what essentially is a one time fairly nominal cost 3 ways saves time (and ultimately money).

IMO, the ex should be all for assisting the child to complete the program. Once the program is done, the child will likely no longer be a full time student and thus not entitled to c/s. So it is in the ex's best interests to get this done. edit - and that the child is nearly 18y/o.
        Last edited by HammerDad; 02-25-2014, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HammerDad View Post
          IMO, the ex should be all for assisting the child to complete the program. Once the program is done, the child will likely no longer be a full time student and thus not entitled to c/s. So it is in the ex's best interests to get this done.
          Excellent point.

Comment

:-) Some interesting replies. Our son will be hired by the company he did his high-school co-op with provided: 1) he has his G2 by July and 2) they have enough work for an apprentice.
            He will need to attend three sessions (each 8 weeks long) at community college. Beginner/Level1 $450, Intermediate/Level 2 $550 and Advanced/Level 3 $ 550 for a total of $1,550. The clincher is finding an apprentice position in July.
            Given the history between my ex and I, I imagine he will refuse to pay child support when our son celebrates his 18th birthday.
            I truly do NOT have any income at the moment and, needless to say, am feeling panicky. Before anyone accuses me of being lazy etc. for not being employed, let me assure those naysayers that I've been trying very hard to gain employment. In addition to sending out resumes and applications, I've gone through several "mock" interviews, had my resume checked numerous times (and made changes). I craft the resume and cover letter for each position. In effect, I'm doing all the right things, but not getting any offers of employment. Instead of criticizing the unemployed, as is so easy to do, if you know of any more-or-less 9-5 administrative, clerical type positions in central-north Peel (north Mississauaga, Brampton, Caledon [including Bolton]), Halton Hills (G'Town, Acton), Milton, Erin Twp., or Orangeville, please contact me.
            How do we get by without income? (It really is 0 at the moment) Cashing in investments and RRSPs. Investments long gone and RRSPs, not much left. And temporary work when available.

Comment

you may have to change what you are looking for in terms of a job. I take it you have registered at the temp agencies? You may have to retrain for something other then office work, or go work at a fast food place, coffee place or even a factory job. When there is no income coming in, one cant get picky. I take it you do get CS and maybe even SS?

If your ex wont help and you son is serious then maybe he (son) could work out a loan from the ex to be paid back when he starts working?

Comment

Originally posted by Epona View Post
                :-) Some interesting replies. Our son will be hired by the company he did his high-school co-op with provided: 1) he has his G2 by July and 2) they have enough work for an apprentice.
                He will need to attend three sessions (each 8 weeks long) at community college. Beginner/Level1 $450, Intermediate/Level 2 $550 and Advanced/Level 3 $ 550 for a total of $1,550. The clincher is finding an apprentice position in July.
                Given the history between my ex and I, I imagine he will refuse to pay child support when our son celebrates his 18th birthday.
                I truly do NOT have any income at the moment and, needless to say, am feeling panicky. Before anyone accuses me of being lazy etc. for not being employed, let me assure those naysayers that I've been trying very hard to gain employment. In addition to sending out resumes and applications, I've gone through several "mock" interviews, had my resume checked numerous times (and made changes). I craft the resume and cover letter for each position. In effect, I'm doing all the right things, but not getting any offers of employment. Instead of criticizing the unemployed, as is so easy to do, if you know of any more-or-less 9-5 administrative, clerical type positions in central-north Peel (north Mississauaga, Brampton, Caledon [including Bolton]), Halton Hills (G'Town, Acton), Milton, Erin Twp., or Orangeville, please contact me.
                How do we get by without income? (It really is 0 at the moment) Cashing in investments and RRSPs. Investments long gone and RRSPs, not much left. And temporary work when available.
                Do you mind if I cross-examine you about your employment?

-Have you gone to the unemployment offices
                -Are you networking (LinkedIn, Facebook, asking friends etc...)
                -Applying for Jobs in many different fields?
                -Are you following up with your applications?
                -Do you think you could do more?
                -How many hours per month do you spend looking for work?
                -Since you aren't working what do you in your free time?
                -Isn't it strange that your 17yr old son is on his way to getting an apprenticeship and you are unemployed?

(just practicing for when my deadbeat ex asks for Spousal Support in a year - so humour please)

The dad probably hates you, if his son asks (who he probably hates less than you - or might even love) and the Dad refuses then a polite request from you isn't going to work. Starting a letter with DEAR to your ex seems out of place....

If he refuses say you're gonna take him to court, file a motion and go to court explain your case to the judge and you'll get something for sure.
                Last edited by Links17; 02-26-2014, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HammerDad View Post

For $550, it simply be split 3 ways. Yeah, you could ask for proportional, but be prepared to have everything delayed while your ex argues that you having an income of $0 is unfair and that an income should be imputed to you. Splitting what essentially is a one time fairly nominal cost 3 ways saves time (and ultimately money).

IMO, the ex should be all for assisting the child to complete the program. Once the program is done, the child will likely no longer be a full time student and thus not entitled to c/s. So it is in the ex's best interests to get this done. edit - and that the child is nearly 18y/o.
                  ^^^ I think this is key for communicating with a difficult ex - spin it so that it's in his best interest. Set up the request something like:

Kid needs driver's ed -> I propose we pay for driver's ed, split three ways (mom, dad and kid), no haggling over proportionate costs -> kid gets (guaranteed) job in July -> kid is no longer child of marriage -> no more CS is payable, ever.

Unless the ex is a total moron, he can figure out that putting in a bit of money now will save him several CS payments later (depending on when kid would otherwise cease to be a child of the marriage). I would attach copies of documents confirming the cost and schedule of the driver's courses, and anything you have which confirms that there's a job waiting for the kid when he gets the necessary license (maybe ask the prospective employer for such a letter).

Kudos to your kid for working hard to get where he is, despite difficult conditions, and best wishes for you in finding a decent job.

Comment

It sounds like you're doing all the right things looking for work. It isn't easy at the moment to find a stable job. I'd be struggling similarly if I didn't "know someone who knows someone".

Check out Second Career Strategy. You can return to school f/t through EI funding. It's been a few years since I've been in that field, but, at one point a living allowance in addition to funding for school was available. While it's EI funded (Federal) it's Provincially delivered, so Service Ontario is the place to start.

If you have RRSPs, etc, it's unlikely you're on social services at this time. However, you may be able to find some help from the Ministry of Social Services for some immediate needs. Your son may be able to qualify for some help there too once he finishes high school.

Comment

Look up the VPI office in Mississauga... Right now they have employment incentives for employers. I attended a session with them as a employer, not in Mississauga but my local branch. They are NOT a placement agency, so you will not be shifted around. They work with job seekers and employers to match them up.

One program they have is they offer a $2 incentive, plus training incentive for employees. This helps employers train new employees without out of pocket costs. I would suggest them over a placement agency, as placement agencies make money off you, VPI doesn't and is all Government funded.

I agree with others that you may have to expand what you are looking for in terms of employment. 9-5, Mon-Fri jobs are hard to come buy, especially in the office field. My sister has a diploma in office management as well as medical office administration and right now, does not have a job in either of those fields... there just isn't much out there. Timmy, Mcdonalds, Walmart, those types of places are usually always hiring. While not ideal, I know, at least it is a job.

I do think that if you intend to take this to court, your ex would most likely be successful in having an income imputed on you. It's best to be able to show that you have exhausted all avenues and not just looked for the 9-5 office job.

Good luck. I hope Dad comes around and helps son out. Has your son actually asked Dad about this?

Comment

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
                        Look up the VPI office in Mississauga... Right now they have employment incentives for employers. I attended a session with them as a employer, not in Mississauga but my local branch. They are NOT a placement agency, so you will not be shifted around. They work with job seekers and employers to match them up.

One program they have is they offer a $2 incentive, plus training incentive for employees. This helps employers train new employees without out of pocket costs. I would suggest them over a placement agency, as placement agencies make money off you, VPI doesn't and is all Government funded.

I agree with others that you may have to expand what you are looking for in terms of employment. 9-5, Mon-Fri jobs are hard to come buy, especially in the office field. My sister has a diploma in office management as well as medical office administration and right now, does not have a job in either of those fields... there just isn't much out there. Timmy, Mcdonalds, Walmart, those types of places are usually always hiring. While not ideal, I know, at least it is a job.

I do think that if you intend to take this to court, your ex would most likely be successful in having an income imputed on you. It's best to be able to show that you have exhausted all avenues and not just looked for the 9-5 office job.

Good luck. I hope Dad comes around and helps son out. Has your son actually asked Dad about this?
                        VPI do job development in a variety of programs that Service Ontario and ODSP offer. The goal is to get people employed - or supposedly anyway. But, having worked in this industry, albeit not in Mississauga, I have found that the job developers care more about stats and their success rather than the success of their clients. The apathy regarding it all is exactly why I don't work in the industry any longer. I don't find this specific to VPI, but rather to the actual counselors. They've figured out the stats to keep the funding coming, and thereby their own jobs secured.

Second career - once you get past all the BS required to apply for the funding - is about training in an accredited program at college. So, the success is up to you and not the stats.

Comment

I take it you have registered at the temp agencies? Yes, a number of them – been sent out on one job driving cars at an auction. You may have to retrain for something other then office work, (I graduated, with honours with a college diploma April 2012 which has done nothing for me except add a student loan to be paid off. Checked out apprenticeship programs, but was advised it’s not very likely a trade company would hire a 54yo+ woman) or go work at a fast food place, coffee place or even a factory job (been to many – they won’t hire me either). When there is no income coming in, one cant get picky (not picky, believe me). I take it you do get CS and maybe even SS? (CS, yes; SS, no)

-Have you gone to the unemployment offices? Yes
                          -Are you networking (LinkedIn, Facebook, asking friends etc...) Yes
                          -Applying for Jobs in many different fields? Yes
                          -Are you following up with your applications? Yes
                          -Do you think you could do more? Not really
                          -How many hours per month do you spend looking for work? At least 120 hours,
                          -Since you aren't working what do you in your free time? In evenings and part of the weekend, I spend time with kids and mother, housework etc. and sometimes see friends.
                          -Isn't it strange that your 17yr old son is on his way to getting an apprenticeship and you are unemployed? Very strange, and I’m not happy about it.

The dad probably hates you, (yeah, probably could be why we’re divorced) if his son asks (he did ask) (who he probably hates less than you - or might even love[might, he has a funny way of expressing it]) and the Dad refuses then a polite request from you isn't going to work. Starting a letter with DEAR to your ex seems out of place.... (:-D That’s how he starts his letters to me! Sigh, but probably true...)

However, you may be able to find some help from the Ministry of Social Services for some immediate needs. (Nope, I don’t qualify for help. I’ve made inquiries numerous times. I have enough in “locked-in” RRSPs from a bygone era that I’ll never qualify until I’m 65. I might be homeless before then, but that’s life)

Look up the VPI office in Mississauga. I have an account with them.
                          Timmy, Mcdonalds, Walmart, those types of places are usually always hiring. I’ve applied at each of them several times. They won’t hire me.
                          Don’t qualify for any help in Second Career either.

I do think that if you intend to take this to court, your ex would most likely be successful in having an income imputed on you. It's best to be able to show that you have exhausted all avenues and not just looked for the 9-5 office job. I have no intention of taking it to court. I have no faith in the Justice system regarding family law, especially as a self-represented litigant.

Has your son actually asked Dad about this? Yes, he has. Son did a lot of work around his Dad’s home (because Dad won’t fix things) for free and saved Dad lots of $$$$ that he would have had to pay someone to fix the things that needed fixing. When son needs help, Dad balks.

I'm doing all the "right things" to gain employment. I will take temporary jobs (which help while they last). It just isn't easy for many people to find employment right now and I'm not the #1 choice most times.

Comment

What about call centers?
                            (Thanks Btw)

Comment

Tried there too.

Comment

Tried there too.
                                There are help wanted signs all over Brampton. I find this hard to believe.

Sounds like you are not willing to work evenings and weekends or are being very picky with your schedule.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X