Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• school change for next year

Hi,

Got an e-mail from stbx saying he will be moving into my area and that he has spoken to S10 &S12 and they are ok with the move.

Said that he spoke to S10 about changing schools and that S 10 is ok with it.

Once they have a place we can look at school options for S10.

S 12 will be going to Junior high that is in the area already.

Stbx has no exact date of when this will occur, just stated that it will be mid-summer.

We have 50/50 no primary residency.

I wish he would have spoken to me first about S10 changing schools; this is what is written in our agreement that we must agree to it before the children are advised but what can I say what is done is done.

We both moved out of the matrimonial home area. S10 &S12 present school is located in stbx area so to keep the peace I did the driving for the school year.

Only 3 weeks left of school.

I sent the below e-mail and would like to know if I'm being unreasonable.

Thank you for the heads up and that it should be great for you guys to move to XXX, will shorten your commute and give the S10 and S12 the availability to so much more.

Registration needs to happen now because of S10’s special needs and to be prepared for the next school year therefore the school in my present XXX district can be used for that.

I sent him the link for the school and the link for the school boundaries.

S10 has special visual needs; equipment that is provided by an Educational Centre to help him see in class. Screen at his desk that is hooked up to the Smart board, enlarged print books etc.

My home is central to the area; with highway and major route access, within 10 mins. you can cross from one side to the other no problem.

Thanks for the feed back.

I would say his email is just what he was supposed to say.
    Although school would like advance notice, that isn't always possible. And most classrooms now have smart boards.
    Let him (your ex) find a place. you have given your preference, which is good. At the end of the day the school will either be in your area, or his area, or if a school agrees between the two of you.

Your ex has a valid argument that it should be in his district (catch area) since he was the one that remained in material area, longest.

That said it's a waiting game, you can let your school know, but don't register the child yet, since you have joint.

Just call and inquire about your son's grade and if the class has a smart board.

If you push this he could decide a different course of action such as remain, or move to a different area. Which would start the whole process of court over again. Be patient. There is still time.

P.S. nothing wrong with your email.

Comment

He will be moving into my area where the kids have lived with me for the past year.

We both had moved out of the matrimonial area and the boys into a new school.

He is moving out of the area where the kids have been going to school.

involved dad: why would he have more say on where school should be?

We are established here and he is not.

Its not the smart board that the issue its getting all equipment sent from one school to the other. It took lots of time this past year to get it all in place and we had registered them in May.

I don't want him to be without what S10 requires. There will be enough stress with having to be in a new school and I don't want to add to that.

Comment

I didn't say he had more say at all, I say he has an argument, and what I said was wait and see.
        You also have an argument as well. The point is work with him.

Are both schools, your area and old area the same school board?
        If they aren't the same board then they might not send equipment. Not 100% sure.

One thing you could do is ask which area he is thinking of moving into?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X