This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording Devices

I didn't want to hijack a thread where this was mentioned, but I'd like to know what kind of voice recorders people use that actually work well. Are there recorders that work with the phone and by themselves? Are there any that work well when concealed in a pocket or something?

I've had issues with past comments being denied and with various threats, so I'd like to be able to record things if possible.

So, any make, model to get or stay away from and where to get them would be appreciated.

Thanks.

ONdad,
    Do you have a fairly new cell phone or Blackberry?
    I downloaded a little voice recorder app for my phone.
    Just before I see the ex, I pull out my phone, tap the application and is starts to record.
    She is used to seeing me with a phone in my hand or in my pocket, it is no big deal.
    I can then email the file to myself and through the file into a folder on my computer for use later.

Comment

I don't use one myself, as I totally avoid verbal contact if at all possible. My court order actually specifies email contact only between the ex and I.

Best advice is to either see if "there's an app for that" for your cellphone as Cobourg mentioned, or take a trip down to your local electronics retailer. (ie. Futureshop, Staples, BestBuy, etc.)

They can usually show you several models and if you describe what you need, then I'm sure they can help you find something to try out. (save the receipt in case it doesn't do what you need)

They seem to be available for under $100 and all seem to be pretty decent at a glance. Only thing is if they are sensitive enough for phone calls to record.

Comment

Google Voice I have heard good things about for home phone lines.

I had a digital voice recorder which was pretty small (size of a lighter) for face to face dealings with the ex. Mine cost about $80.

Comment

I don't have a cell phone, so I'll head down to futureshop after my next paycheck.

I'm also going to check out Google Voice.

Thanks

Comment

Not all personal recorders save files as MP3s, WAV or WMA, which are common audio formats. If you have to work with the recording (enhance it, cut out blank chunks, email it so a lawyer can hear it), it will be difficult if the device has some rare encoding scheme that no utility can work with.

Many will pick up interference when recording a cell phone if it is not positioned correctly. This can run the range from annoying to making the recording unintelligible. You want to position the recorder's microphone away from and at an angle to the sound source.

Many have a plug for an external mic - this is recommended. The Source sells an extension with a long cord and alligator clip, so you can hide the recorder and just expose a tiny black mic. People can have *strong* reactions when they see a recording device pointed their way.

Although most recorders today are digital, although you can still get ones that use dictation cassettes. These are cheaper, but have very limited capacity (60 min - even the cheapest digital will do dozens of hours). They are versatile: you can record in-person conversations, land lines and cell phones. But it's a pretty technical affair: you have to transfer the recording to digital, because tapes can demagnetize or stretch, making the recording useless.

Check out CNET for reviews.

Comment

what's the law in Ontario regarding use of voice recordings if other party doesn't know they are being recorded? i don't need to worry about it but I've heard it's illegal here.

Comment

Ontario law is "one party consent", meaning if one of the parties to a conversation knows a recording is occurring, it's legal. (Zero party consent is wiretapping).

See Google Answers: Recording calls in Ontario, Canada

Comment

Just get out a video camera, tell ex to smile on camera...lol and keep on going. That would be priceless.
                  Last edited by tugofwar; 07-08-2010, 05:28 PM.

Comment

I bought a digital audio recorder for another purpose, but found a telephone recording adapter that I can plug into the mic jack of the recorder and record all my telephone calls. The recorder isn't very pocketable, but it does record high-quality audio.

The adapter can be found at The Source and doesn't cost much - about thirty bucks or so. It's also quite easy to use.

I don't anticipate having any face-to-face meetings with the ex (save for the case conference and/or trial maybe) so don't yet feel the need to get a really tiny recorder for such contacts.

Comment

Originally posted by Olderdad View Post
                      Ontario law is "one party consent", meaning if one of the parties to a conversation knows a recording is occurring, it's legal. (Zero party consent is wiretapping).

See Google Answers: Recording calls in Ontario, Canada
                      Same goes for Alberta? I tried googling but came to contradicting answers.

Comment

If its a high conflict..all correspondence should be in writing... The voice recordings could be thrown out at some point if Rules of Evidence are applied.

Comment

Originally posted by logicalvelocity View Post
                          If its a high conflict..all correspondence should be in writing... The voice recordings could be thrown out at some point if Rules of Evidence are applied.
                          Yup, it's easier and more accurate to show to the court what has been written than recorded.

But I'd like to know if recording is legal in Alberta like in Ontario.

Comment

Your question is broad.

For Civil other than family - I would think that if you were recording a conversation in good faith meaning they are/were privy of recording and with parties identified... Why wouldn't it be.

For family concerning custody and or access - depends on the individual circumstance. How the recording was obtained might not be relevant at a motion but Rules of Evidence would apply during Trial. Voir dire may be necessary to determine admissibility.

For Criminal, Initial warrant is required.

Comment

This is governed by the Criminal Code (Link to section 183 etc) so it is equal across Canada.

The information/recording may not always be admissible. For example if someone asks if you are recording them and you say no, then the information was fraudulently obtained. It will make a difference if it is evidence for a criminal trial or a civil trial.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X