No announcement yet.

Financial Hardship Emergency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employers who attempt to bypass court-ordered garnishees (manual cheque-writing) are liable for total amount of arrears.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulP View Post
      @NBDad I am just now waiting on FRO to call me back. My workier is off until Monday but the woman I spoke to has passed the information/situation info to my case worker's manager.

@limer I think you are correct about the percentage value ref: arrears but when I am already paying $1,100 per month out of $3,700 net pay(before food, mortgage etc) there is not much I figured left for them to take. I was obviously wrong as they took the remainder from my bank account. Yay
      Wow, do you really think you have it rough? Many of us here pay closer to 40, in my case almost 50% of our net pay. I pay more than twice as much support as you, but make $1300 more net. And I have never missed a payment by even a day. Even before the house was sold and cash disbursed.

I'd like to have a mortgage. I live in a basement apartment, one that I share with my son.

Seriously consider downsizing your accomodation.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulP View Post
        This really sucks....I already pay $1,100 per month.....direct from my pay.
        Now to figure out how to explain some things to my kids..

If you were already paying, then where do the arrears come from? FRO is notoriously SLOW to do anything, so you must have ignored them for some time to have your wages garnished. Had you called them to make arrangements, you could have avoided this 'emergency'.

Comment

They most likely garnished the account due to the cost order which is usually due in a lump some vs small payments.

As I've been told by FRO (as I am sure many others also have been) if the payor is paying something, even if it's not the full amount, they don't pursue next steps if garnishment has begun, regardless if there are arrears.

They do and will take further steps if costs are not paid as its seperate from support and usually has a deadline due date.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X