Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still some distance to go on gender equality...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ironically, April 16 marked equal pay day. Women work all year, men don't have to start until April 16 for them to have an equal annual pay at the end of the year
    Apparently, this is is because men actually work more hours/week

In Quebec, every company over 50 people had to have an assesment by last year of all the job positions. Any job dominated by women and below the average salary for similary positions was boosted. Another example of Quebec progressiveness.

I'm not sure about the whole "everything equal" thing.

Its like a team effort, there are goalies, forwards, defense etc... All good at different things. I just think we need to appreciate that we're all equal in terms of our rights and right to the benefits of our team efforts.

I think one parent should stay home with kids till they start school. Could be either one probably the one with crappier job prospects.
    Last edited by Links17; 04-17-2014, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Next time you're at the dry cleaners check out the prices of having a man's shirt cleaned vs. a woman's shirt.

That used to annoy me to no end that I was charged more for my top than my husband's shirt.

Comment

There is a concept though that I have experienced in dating after divorce, where women still want to be financially (and in other ways) taken care of (however all of my money is spoken for!).
        Not all women are like this....certainly not me. My new partner is very successful financially and I pay for at least half of everything we do...and have the entire time we've dated.

I use his credit cards because I often want to buy things on U.S. websites that won't let me use my own. But I use it and then transfer the money into his Canadian bank account that he uses when he's here. I buy him a lot of gifts. It often irritates him that I won't let him pay for more but I can take care of myself and like my independence. I'm not rich but I find pride in managing my own money since divorce. I'm a lot better at it than I thought I'd be.

On the flip side, I'm domestic. I cook for him and my kids, clean my place and his, iron his shirts, etc. Unlike my ex, my new partner appreciates that I do these things without expecting me to do any of it. I always resented having to work full-time in my marriage and having to do everything around the house because my ex considered household chores my duty.

I've always thought the problem with women's traditional gender roles weren't that they weren't as important as earning a living. There's nothing better than coming home to a clean home and a hot dinner and not having to worry about the kids. Its that these roles aren't appreciated, understood and valued for how important they are.

As men move into starting to fill these traditionally female roles, I wonder if these duties will start getting more recognized for how important they are to maintaining a family.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X