Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calgary - Vancouver -- Arabian/western posters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calgary - Vancouver -- Arabian/western posters?

I have to be in Calgary this summer for a wedding, and am thinking of spending some time in Vancouver (maybe).

I'd have stayed in Calgary if the Stampede were on the go, but unfortunately we miss the Stampede by a couple of weeks. And we have covered most of Calgary in the past.

How interesting is the train travel through the Rockies to Vancouver? Worthy of booking or just fly instead?

And what exactly would one do with a teenager in Vancouver for say, 3 or 4 days, in August?

tia!
    Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Train trip is spectacular scenery for sure. If I were you I'd rent a car if time isn't a big issue. 2 extra days tops. You have Banff which is fun and if you spend a day there you can detour one afternoon to Lake Louise which isn't far - all on good highway.

Driving from Calgary to Vancouver is a breeze.

You will never in your life see scenery like that of the Rocky Mountains. Breathtaking really!

Vancouver has everything Toronto has. You can take a day trip on the ferry over to Victoria which is pretty neat.

Vancouver Aquarium is neat, Stanley Park is amazing and of course Granville Island is a must!

I believe they even have a nude beach there LOL
    Last edited by arabian; 02-04-2014, 12:29 AM.

Comment

I forgot to tell you that there is nothing like driving through a mountain pass. Quite exhilarating with all the tunnels. Your teenager certainly won't be bored. You can stay a night in Banff or Fairmont Hot Springs (neither are cheap so if you're on a budget you probably don't want to go to those places). I'm a pretty picky person when it comes to accommodation so let me know if you need some recommendations. Depending upon where you are staying in Calgary, you could stay a night at Canmore and then go to Fairmont (this would be considerably less expensive) and then on to Vancouver the next day.

Comment

We did Victoria and Whistler in 5 days over a long weekend in November - Incredibly scenery. Seriously - you'll spend a good portion of the time wondering how people are ever productive with all that stunning beauty RIGHTTHERE!!

Victoria was awesome - walkable, lovely, scenic, great shops and restaurants and a fun ride on the ferry and coast road drive. We stayed at the Empress - it was magical, then ferry from Niniamo to the north end of Vancouver up to Whistler for two days - we don't ski but also loved the drive, and the scenery and all the stuff to do even if you don't ski. Drive Drive Drive

Comment

Ok, you've both convinced me, we'll fly into Calgary, fly out of Vancouver, and do a leisurely drive instead of train.

And by leisurely drive, Arabian, I do mean a drive/destination without a nude beach at the end of it! haaahaa. That would just be nasty. I don't think buff 10's hang out at nude beaches, do they?

I might be back to pick some more of your brains - I'm going to order a map and start planning.
          Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X