Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will have to try to apply for legal aid, however, I have not applied for legal aid because I heard they don't cover motions. In which, most of my court hearings are motions. I'm not sure if it's worth it at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Tinkbug View Post
      I will have to try to apply for legal aid, however, I have not applied for legal aid because I heard they don't cover motions. In which, most of my court hearings are motions. I'm not sure if it's worth it at this point.
      You are incorrect. You should apply for Legal Aid or at minimum bring all your court materials to meet with them on application.

You may find that your highly conflicted situation may not qualify as there is no abuse claims by you against the other party and that you may not financially qualify for Legal Aid.

But, it is absolutely incorrect that Legal Aid doesn't cover motions. In fact, often they don't provide enough hours to go to trial.

You have it all backwards.

Good Luck!
      Tayken

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
        You are incorrect. You should apply for Legal Aid or at minimum bring all your court materials to meet with them on application.

You may find that your highly conflicted situation may not qualify as there is no abuse claims by you against the other party and that you may not financially qualify for Legal Aid.

But, it is absolutely incorrect that Legal Aid doesn't cover motions. In fact, often they don't provide enough hours to go to trial.

You have it all backwards.

Good Luck!
        Tayken
        Again, I know anything about the legal system in Canada. I've always had lawyers.

Comment

Originally posted by Tinkbug View Post
          Again, I know anything about the legal system in Canada. I've always had lawyers.
          It is your responsibility to understand the Rules and Court orders. Lawyers work for you so if you are comfortable not knowing how something works and leaving everything else up to someone else you can live by that "excuse".

Also, how you "always had lawyers" will come up with Legal Aid on your application. If you were able to financially support yourself or had another source of support (say your parents) then you will find it even harder to get Legal Aid.

Legal Aid is not a "free ride". You still have to understand the Rules and resulting court orders.

You can't live your life saying "you didn't know better" or "you didn't know how" or "you didn't know what else to do". Crying wolf eventually ends and it can end rather badly for the children involved in your matter.

Good Luck!
          Tayken

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X