Unbundled Legal Services

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unbundled Legal Services

Wondering if someone used these and how does it work? From the internet search I understand that a retainer is still needed, the scope of services is outlined in that retainer, but what if another advice is needed that is not included in the "package"?

Could anyone suggest a good lawyer with reasonable rates (if such lawyer exists) who's providing unbundled services preferably North York, Thornhill and area?

Also, do law school students allow to give advise on family matters?

Thanks

My husbands ex uses unbundled services and then self repped in court. She lost miserably at their first motion and was mildly schooled by the DRO at their dispute resolution conference.

From what I understand unbundled means you pick and choose what they do and they give you advice but it could end up costing you more than unbundled. For instance, the ex claimed her costs were $4000 compared to my husbands of $5500. For $1500 more he had someone in court with him giving his good advice.

If you feel confident enough to self rep in court you could speak to a lawyer about simply paying hourly for them to review your documents but don’t represent you in court.

Comment

I was just thinking to get help with some minor issues like documents correctness, procedures and stuff.

All major stuff is done for now.

Comment

Most family lawyers call it a “limited scope retainer”. My lawyer does it - and I’ll be using it going forward even though our matter is “settled”.

If your lawyer has a great law clerk. This is such a great option because the clerks will know exactly what to look for on the forms, etc.

Comment

**do law school students allow to give advise on family matters?**

Don’t get major surgery from a pre-med student and don’t take family law advice from a student. They don’t have the education and skills for one of the most complex areas of law (I personally would not see a family lawyer till five years post call - baby lawyers are learning but charging you while they learn). Nothing more expensive than a cheap lawyer...

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X