Just an odd question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just an odd question

Oddball question but has anyone ever invited your lawyer to your home? On a weekend? While the kids are there?

I am not looking to make an issue of this with the ex. He lives in his own world and definitely dances to his own music. I am simply curious what the hive mind may think.

That's weird.

Some people get weirdly close to their family lawyer. I don't get that. This is person is profiting off your misery.

Comment

But wait- if your kids were there- why would the lawyer be there? That's all kinds of wrong. You know- keeping the conflict separate, etc etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by cranberry View Post
        Oddball question but has anyone ever invited your lawyer to your home? On a weekend? While the kids are there?

I am not looking to make an issue of this with the ex. He lives in his own world and definitely dances to his own music. I am simply curious what the hive mind may think.
        Its a bit odd. Its even more odd that the lawyer would do that.

Comment

Thanks folks! I guess I was checking to make sure that I wasn't off my rocker 😉 you can bet that I am concerned our boys will be present. We reached a settlement on Friday and he was definitely not happy with it. Neither am I but its about the kids, not me. Maybe its a thank you dinner? I will never know (I hope), just glad to see your comments.

Comment

? We have made friends with certain clients. They are invited to our dinner parties, as are we to theirs. How is this strange.? It is NOT all about you.
            Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Not a smart thing to do. If you go back to court for whatever reason and have to go to trial his lawyer can be called as a witness. My ex’s and mine attended at our farm when ex was removing a piece of furniture that belonged to his mom. The judge had ordered that both lawyers attend. My lawyer was pissed as she said that if it went to trial both lawyers could now be called as witnesses and therefor could no longer represent either one of us.

Comment

I once asked if I could bring my kids to the lobby for a meeting with the lawyer (babysitter fell through) and she told me in no uncertain terms that the kids were not to enter the building if I wanted to keep her as a lawyer.

In retrospect, I get her point

Comment

I guess it all depends... I mean I’ve dealt with investors and life insurance brokers who come to our house so we don’t have to lug kids to their offices, when we were looking at houses to purchase our realtor came to our place many times to discuss business... there are many professionals who do “house calls”... over the years we’ve become friends with the guy we invest with and our broker for life insurance... it happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mcdreamy View Post
                    ? We have made friends with certain clients. They are invited to our dinner parties, as are we to theirs. How is this strange.? It is NOT all about you.
                    I've made friends with clients too. But I think family law is different. I'd liken it more to a doctor/patient relationship. There needs to be really clear professional boundaries.

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
                      I once asked if I could bring my kids to the lobby for a meeting with the lawyer (babysitter fell through) and she told me in no uncertain terms that the kids were not to enter the building if I wanted to keep her as a lawyer.

In retrospect, I get her point
                      Were you in the middle of litigation?

I've stopped by my lawyers office with my little one to pick up something. My lawyer didn't meet her- just his clerk. I never thought that I shouldn't have taken her there. In retrospect...I probably shouldn't have. It was on the way back from her pediatrician's office- and I told her I had to pick something up for work.

Comment

I have shielded my kids from legal stuff from day one. It's 6 years now. There is zero benefit to my kids meeting my lawyer. In fact my lawyer wanted to drop off a bottle of wine Christmas gift at my home and I told him to drop it off at my work. I don't need my children to wonder why a strange man is dropping off a gift to mom. And there was no way I would just tell my kids this is my lawyer. They have no idea I'm in litigation with their dad. And I don't plan on telling them ever. They are too young to be saddled with this burden. I agree other professions are different but not family law lawyers.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X