This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dating

Looking to get other people's opinions. When should you start dating again... Will you ever be ready or should you just take the plunge?

Some people go by the rule of waiting one month for every year of marriage. Although I am not sure when the one month starts: date of separation or date of divorce or other?

Honestly though, it really depends on the person. Some are ready right away. Others may never be ready. You could always just go out and test the waters. Some fun dates are okay just to take your mind of things... and yah just never know...

I would think that if you wait too long you might get harder to get back in the game.

I would always caution that if you begin dating before everything, and I mean EVERYTHING is finalized, signed and ordered, you could be opening yourself up to extensive litigation.

Comment

Do you mean the separation agreement or the actual divorce?

Comment

I guess it would depend on so many factors. What were the events that led up to the separation? The state of the relationship prior to separation? The purpose of the separation (i.e. trying to figure things out and work things through... or just witing for the paperwork)? The status of the divorce?

But from a technical standpoint, at least have the separation agreement signed (in blood). I will again cuation that a signed separation agreement does not pervent either party from contesting the divorce. I fyou really, really really really weant to be safe, what until a) separation agreement signed (ee.g. custody, access, vacation, holdiays, support, equalization, etc)... and the divorce has been granted and the 30 day wait is finished.

So that could be quite a long time... maybe date in another city...

Comment

I married my first and only boyfriend 22 years ago. We've been separated just over 3 years now and I haven't had so much as a cup of coffee with another man in that time. My husband said "neither one of us should be with anyone else for a long time....a very long time". Funny thing though, he didn't seem to see it that way for himself BEFORE we separated and he sure as heck wasn't alone after we separated.

This is my opinion but I know I'm not alone in it, being separated does not end the marriage. If you are with other people while still married to another, it's adultery, plain and simple. It doesn't matter if "that's what people usually do" or not. If you want a boyfriend/girlfriend....be divorced first.

Oh, I'm new here BTW so, hello

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X