Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• self represent

now the question of all questions:

SC is done, assignment court in January for trial.....

really, what about self-representing from now on? Doable, or do you need five brains to do so? Common sense? Lots of reading? How much super professional are you expected to be during trial if you didn't study it? Is the paper work doable? How can you learn that all?

The question that has been asked many times. Use advanced search on this forum and theres every suggestion possible. I am currently seeing lawyers for free consultations, going to court watching the cases and reading the book by Michael G. Cochrane called survivingyour divorce a guide to canadian family law. The whole book is interesting and there is a chapter on how to self rep

Comment

And again, there is a member of this board, WorkingDad who was a self rep and very successful. Read his threads and posts.

Comment

Do not take it for granted, however, that because WorkingDad did it well, that everyone can.

Every judgement that has been issued about that guy says that he is one of, if not the most prepared self rep that judge has ever seen.

Lawyers make time to watch him in court.

He is the exception, not the rule.

By all means self rep but know that it is incredibly hard work!

Comment

Originally posted by FaithandMorals View Post
          Do not take it for granted, however, that because WorkingDad did it well, that everyone can.

Every judgement that has been issued about that guy says that he is one of, if not the most prepared self rep that judge has ever seen.

Couldn't say it better myself! Yes, he is an exception. The amount of time (he said on this forum) he spent preparing, the volume of material he studied, a picture of a suitcase with the docs he took to court with him for a 17-days trial (he posted it here) - OMG is overwhelming. I have no idea how he did it. WOW!!!

Comment

I've self-represented and been better off than with my idiot ex-lawyer, even though I failed on somethings the appeal judges (maybe just to butter me up) said that I delivered my arguments well and it wasn't due to being self-represented that I didn't succeed. I do a tonne of research that I am pretty unemotional except when I need to deliver false outrage... I think most people could self-represent as long as they had a lawyer to consult and maybe a 20hr training class after that it is all arguementation and case law research skills - having access to a law library is good too and some of the special software they use.
            Last edited by Links17; 11-15-2014, 01:52 AM.

Comment

Did you rep yourself through trial?

I repped myself too but I got my ass kicked on loadsa things because the lawyer buried me in maneuvering.

Repping yourself through conferences has its own pros and cons.

Comment

No but i laid out the gameplan and where my lawyer followed it we won... Where he didnt do what i asked we got screwed.

I also defended against contempt and the judge specifically used my arguements in his judgement and they agreed to the inclusion of some without prejudice discussions as evidence and it buried them.

What kind of maneuvering?

Comment

My ex's lawyer tries to bully me and scam me though but i basically tell the judge and while she doesn't get reprimanded i normally win out in procedural matters.

Comment

Accidentally found this:

What to do if you need a lawyer but can't afford one
                    https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/blogs/p...4180.html?vp=1

Comment

Originally posted by FaithandMorals View Post

WD was an inspiration. One may postulate that his ex's outlandish behavior and extreme inconsistencies may have been a contributing factor. Analogous to an an NHL franchise battling an immature pee wee team.

One can only hope an OP can make so many mistakes.

But like I said. WD is an inspiration and worked his case well. Can't say so much for his ex. Her antics made his job easier for sure.

Comment

Self-repping ,in my opinion, is a time-consuming and difficult process....worse if your case is complicated or involves custody (as this part often becomes ugly and emotional). I self-repped through a settlement conference and prepared for two motions on my own. My ex is crazy and is taking me to court again...so I will be self-repping the whole way through this next time. I"m figuring first time was the hardest...second time will be a breeze! It is easy to get intimidated and if you have an a**hole judge that doesn't like self-reppers the story is even worse. Court is a bit of a crap-shoot as two judges can have different opinions on the same case. Some have tons of experience and some are newbies with no clue. I would suggest using a lawyer for unbundled services. Read everything that you can on the topic. In my opinion...nothing really matters or is legally binding until you get to a motion or trial. Always know your bottom line...as each interaction in court will be an opportunity to settle. Read the Family Law Rules if you are in the Ontario court system. Take advantage of the Family Law Information Centers. This forum is a wealth of information. Good luck!!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X