• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can your Case Confrence Judge Hear a Motion

Hi Everyone

Hope you are all having a good time out there

I`m self represented and I have a motion coming up in a few days

I was filling out the form 14C to confirm and realized I need the name of the case conference Judge.

I`ve moved since we had our case conference (4 years ago) and I just realized the paperwork for that is packed away in a storage unit and I would not be able to get to it in time to check to find out the Judges name to put on the 14C and meet the deadline

I heard that the case conference judge cant hear motions from me, is this correct? I also heard its at their discretion.

I live 4 hours away from the court house and called to ask if they could tell me who my conference judge was but they wont tell me I have to be there in person to look at my file.

So I have a few questions. Even if I did know the name of the Judge and he is the motion Judge would they find another judge to hear my motion?

or

It would not matter anyways if there is a conflict there is nothing I could do about it

Thanks

Toronto_father

just leave it blank.. it doesn't really matter

Comment

the motion judge is not the same as the case conference judge. and you will never have the same judge twice for anything. Unless you go to trial. then it doesn't change but it won't be a judge you have seen before.. this keeps any judge from being biased

Comment

the motion judge is not the same as the case conference judge. and you will never have the same judge twice for anything.
        This is incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by OrleansLawyer View Post
          This is incorrect.
          A conference judge will never be a motion or trial judge. But, a motion judge can be a motion judge over and over and the trial judge too.

Reason: Conferences are for the purpose of mediated settlements. Same reason you can't use offers to settle in a motion or at trial as evidence.

Comment

A conference judge will never be a motion or trial judge. But, a motion judge can be a motion judge over and over and the trial judge too.

Reason: Conferences are for the purpose of mediated settlements. Same reason you can't use offers to settle in a motion or at trial as evidence.
            For clarity on this point - the settlement conference judge will not be the trial judge; however, your case conference judge may conduct motions or the trial.

Comment

Our motion judge became our case conference judge and then our settlement conference judge. He also heard 3 motions for us.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X