No announcement yet.

Car seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I fully agree with Janus on this one. So would a family court judge.

And coincidentally, I am in the same situation as Mr. Climber. If it makes you feel any better, seat belts alone provide the same protection as a car seats manufactured to minimum USA standards (which are lower than Canadian ones) for a child over the age of 3. This according to a book called Freakonomics (or maybe it was Freakonomics 2). You will never be able to fully protect your child all the time from all the risks life throws at him/her anyway.

Comment

What many people don’t understand is that the expiration date of a car seat doesn’t mean it automatically doesn’t protect a child. It means that it may not be the most up to date safety equipment (which doesn’t change as often as people think) and the manufacturer cannot guarantee that it will provide 100% protection. Plastic breaks down over time and a 1 year old car seat is better than a 5 year old seat. A seat over five years is not as good as a younger one. The plastic will shatter at varying degrees depending on age. BUT most people don’t keep the child in the same seat longer than 3-5 years and for some families they simply keep a seat from an older child. It doesn’t mean the child is not safe. It means the child is not as safe as one in a new seat. There are so many families that cant afford a new seat for every child or for every child in more than one car. People borrow or recycle seats from others around the same age. That doesn’t mean they aren’t safe, it means a newer seat would provide a better safety rating. To me its like riding in a car with no air bags or one that is “luxury” and has air bags throughout the frame.

Any EMS person will tell you having a child in a car seat whether it is 1 year old or 5 years old means they are much safer than no seat at all. Point being, if you cant afford new, don’t skip it altogether. Fighting over a new seat versus an older seat isn’t worth it and just makes you look nitpicky. If the seat is 10 years old, will shatter and has no belts, yes thats an issue. If its simply a year or two after the expiry date, kid is still safe.

As for the kid in the front seat, the issue is the airbag. It can burn, suffocate or break bones. Thats more the fight to have but overall, so petty and so useless.

Remember your EX is still the childs PARENT. You had a child with this person and you have to hope they care about their child as much as you.

Comment

I think the issue is not that it’s expired, it’s that the seat is not appropriate for the child because they are under the weight requirements for the booster seat. I am in this boat myself as I have a four year old who is smaller than 40 lbs and therefore still uses the car seat. The five point harness system is much safer than the lap/shoulder belt. Using the lap/shoulder belt and booster seat is still a restraint system; however it isn’t the safest option. As a parent, I would choose the safest option. That being said, I doubt he gets her to buy a new one because she obviously feels this will suffice for her child.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ange71727 View Post
          How you got that from his original post I have no idea.
          You don't get it from the original post. You click on a user's history and read it. Not like this is the OP's first post on this forum.

https://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/...archid=1596850

Janus is bang on.

This post by the OP is very telling.

https://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/...ad.php?t=19357

Assuming that this is the first post that the OP has made is a mistake. Janus reads history. He often quotes back stuff from previous threads when making a point.

Suffice to say. You are the one assuming not Janus. Upon my review of the OP's history... Threads titled "Trying to claim primary care - need help" scream "I am creating unnecessary conflict" in a situation where NONE SHOULD EXIST.

Another example is this one: https://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/...ad.php?t=20694

If my ex makes a health decision without me (and without notifying me) such as getting them the flu shot, do I have any recourse?
          In a situation of a reasonable person... A flu shot would not be a point of conflict.
          Last edited by Tayken; 05-30-2018, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Great discussion everyone thanks for joining in!

Tayken, my ex was trying to claim primary care, not me.

Comment

As per the ministry: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/saf...car-seat.shtml

Ontario’s Highway Traffic Act requires children weighing 18 kg to 36 kg (40 to 80 lb.), standing less than 145 cm (4 ft. 9 in.) tall and who are under the age of 8 to use a booster seat or allows the continued use of a forward-facing seat as long as the car seat manufacturer recommends its use. It’s best to keep your child in a booster seat until they reach the manufacturer’s recommended maximum weight and height limits.
              It's a good thing my son is 12 now because he'd still be in a booster seat. He barely weighs 80lbs and stands a slight bit under 4'9". Maybe I should text the ex before she starts court proceedings.

No idea why age would affect safety when height and weight are the key factors.

Comment

Just to throw a wrench in the argument since I work in automotive. They have recently done another multitude of studies with various child car seats and NONE of them make a child safer in a car...although the lighter they are, the safer they are.

Believe it or not, the whole car seat argument is moot because the safest thing is to actually buckle your kids in...and that's it. For babies, to create the lightest, lowest center of gravity would be the best. The reason is simple....anything weighing anything in a car will fly in a crash condition. So you are anchoring your kid to something heavy which basically acts like a projectile in a crash situation. There have been studies on this for a long time, however, because car seats are such a huge market (and getting larger) and because of perception/hysteria...car seats will be in use for a long time to come regardless of the actual data.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X