Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bitcoin loss and divorce

Hello everyone,
    My ex sold a significant amount of stocks which we had through his work, when I was on vacation, after our separation.
    He invested the money in a Bitcoin mining business, without my knowledge. He knew I was completely against this very high risk business.

Now, he is saying, he lost ALL of it. All gone!
    What would happen to my 1/2 portion of that money?

Right after the time we could sell, he sold all of it, and destroyed all of it.

My argument is that because he took the money after our separation and without my knowledge, now he has to pay me half of from the proceed of the house. Am I correct?

Whatever that amount was on the date of separation would be accounted for during equalization. This is what I think. Do you have proof he lost it all. Maybe he made money and isn't disclosing it thinking there will be no recourseif he tells you it's gone. You would be entitled to half that amount during the equalization of assets calculation. I'm not a lawyer so maybe someone else with more knowledge can advise.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayaaaa View Post
      Now, he is saying, he lost ALL of it. All gone!
      He's probably lying, but that is irrelevent.

What would happen to my 1/2 portion of that money?
      The entire amount will appear as an asset for him during equalization. He will effectively owe you half of it.

My argument is that because he took the money after our separation and without my knowledge, now he has to pay me half of from the proceed of the house. Am I correct?
      Well, he could argue that he should pay you from a different source, or that there are some offsetting assets that you hold. At the end of the day though, that's just being nitpicky. As long as the value of those stocks appears as his asset during equalization, you will get what is fair.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X