Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:41 PM

kate331 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccorazon View Post
Wow - that's so frustrating. The mom suffers without support and the dad gets a "payment" plan
Yup, and then they can go back to court and ask for the arrears to be reduced or forgiven. I know Family Law SUCKS for everyone.

I am learning very quickly, its best to not count on CS, if you have an ex that doesnt want to pay. Sometimes it will cost you more to chase it, then actually receive it, if your paying your own legal fees.

FRO currently has $1.35 billion in arrears in Ontario, I suspect yours and my arrears will be in there somewhere soon.

Best advice is to become self sufficient.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:47 PM

dadonown is on a distinguished road

As a Payor, FRO isn't much better. Was paying direct and on time, but X decided to go to FRO. FRO garnished my wages for the first payment thru them, even though it was already paid. No notice or information till I chased after them.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:44 PM

Asphenaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadonown View Post
As a Payor, FRO isn't much better.
I agree. It all depends on if the payors wages can get garnished or not. If it can, then it's a matter of processing time. FRO waits for the court order to be filed and then send a notice to your employer. The payor then finds out his payments bounced because his paycheck was garnished.

If it can't be garnished, then payee has a long wait ahead of them. Without being able to garnish wages FRO has very little means to get the payments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berner_Faith View Post
I thought once FRO was involved the payer wasnít supposed to pay anyone but FRO? Because for 6 months arrears have been collecting at FRO awhile they set up the account... so when FRO finally starts to collect the expect the payer to pay 6 months arrears. Interesting a judge ordered a cheque be cut right then and there when the ex was only following what was expected of them
You're correct, I find that interesting. As you pointed out, the payor would have to pay the same debt twice. I could write a cheque as ordered but with no money in the account, it would simply bounce.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:39 PM

ccorazon is on a distinguished road

I went to court earlier in the month. My ex didnít show. Support was ordered. My ex must have received something in the mail as he called me screaming. I also got a package basically saying theyíve received the court order and itís registered then fill out the package with detailed info about his job, address, etc. BecauSe they asked about his job I was just wondering if they just automatically deduct - I wouldnít see why not. Iíve already been waiting and am already 5k in arrears. I guess Iíll just wait and see what happens. It seems like no one knows including no real info online and no one to talk to by calling the office.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:45 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

FRO will garnishee up to 50% of his income from his employer until such time as your ex contacts FRO and makes an arrangement. The arrangement will consist of what his regular monthly obligation is as well as an amount towards arrears. Before he can make an arrangement, however, he will have to complete a very detailed financial statement and have it sworn legally. He will probably do this in short order because until FRO receives everything from him they can, and likely will, simply deduct the maximum amount allowable by law (see FRO information below). Your ex's employer MUST deduct and remit this money to FRO. The documents served to his employer are legal documents and there is no leeway.

Usually a debtor has received many notices by mail from FRO so don't fall for the "I didn't know" routine.

https://www.mcss.gov.on.ca/en/mcss/p...esponsibility/
Old 03-30-2018, 01:39 PM

Beachnana is on a distinguished road

Fro has its own lawyers. Once you have an order registered with FRO they will enforce it.
But they have procedures and threashold
$3000 in arrears will initiate the enforcement process
Fist step is usually. Contact via call to payor by their case worker
Then letter
Then FRO waits 30 days
Then they will go to the next step
Credit Bureau
Write of Sale enforced by local Sheriif

Each princess requires a legs, letter and a wait of 30 days

Garnishment rarely occurs until all other avenues have been exhausted

If payor submit a VAP plan then FRO assesses its amount based on fianancial Statements from payor

Garnishment takes 3months through most company 6 months if they are in the armed forces

Get into the online system and monitor progress and send in requests.
Also get very friendly with your Case worker they are your advocate