Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law > Common Law Issues

Common Law Issues The law regarding common law relationships is different than in cases of divorce. Discuss the issues that affect unmarried couples here.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:06 AM

paco has a little shameless behaviour in the past

This is a combined settlement conf/trial management conf, basically I just want to adjourn it. So as I understand correctly I have to contact the other party for an adjourn on consent, if they deny then at the conference I'll look for an order to adjourn it, correct?

Sent from my SGH-I717D using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2014, 12:16 PM

OrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
a judge can make an order for Child Support at a conference provided financial information.
Corollary: If it is not on consent, a judge can only make an Order that periodic payments continue - FLR 17. However, if they Order guideline child support, the only way to change that would be to bring an appeal - which would be heard about the same time as the motion for guideline child support, making the point moot.

It is not uncommon for lawyers to seek this, or some judges to Order it, because everyone "knows" it will happen anyways.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:15 PM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrleansLawyer View Post
Corollary: If it is not on consent, a judge can only make an Order that periodic payments continue - FLR 17. However, if they Order guideline child support, the only way to change that would be to bring an appeal - which would be heard about the same time as the motion for guideline child support, making the point moot.

It is not uncommon for lawyers to seek this, or some judges to Order it, because everyone "knows" it will happen anyways.
Are you talking about 17.(8).(b.1).(vi) correct?

Quote:
(vi) an order continuing the payment of periodic amounts required to preserve an asset or a benefit to one of the parties and the children;
Old 06-12-2014, 01:28 PM

OrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the roughOrleansLawyer is a jewel in the rough

That is correct.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:35 PM

paco has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Child support is not an issue, this is paid periodically.

Sent from my SGH-I717D using Tapatalk