Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:27 PM

Tracy B is on a distinguished road
Default Question about health benefits

I have been separated for almost three years, my (ex) husband and I done out own separation agreement, which went through court house. Question is, he has started a new job and now has informed me that I will no longer be on his health benefits (as he said the company doesn't allow this) can the company actually make this choice. In our agreement it only said divorce or cohabit. Not sure what to do, or if he is even telling the truth. Any advise?
Old 04-29-2014, 03:29 PM

FB_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy B View Post
I have been separated for almost three years, my (ex) husband and I done out own separation agreement, which went through court house. Question is, he has started a new job and now has informed me that I will no longer be on his health benefits (as he said the company doesn't allow this) can the company actually make this choice. In our agreement it only said divorce or cohabit. Not sure what to do, or if he is even telling the truth. Any advise?
He does NOT need to provide you with health benefits. His company can do anything they want with their benefit package.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:06 PM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

My company also asked me to remove my ex while separated. Maybe you can try to support yourself rather then find a legal way to get support from your ex-husband.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:15 PM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

Quote:
He probably is telling the truth on this. Its a new job. Its all up to the companies benefit policy. Do you know what insurance company the new company deals with. If you do then you could make a general inquiry to the insurance company asking what their policy is.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:44 PM

Serene is on a distinguished road

Your agreement says divorce or cohabit what? Your post is difficult to read....
Old 04-29-2014, 07:10 PM

Berner_Faith will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I agree with the above posters...while there have been times where an ex spouse is ordered to keep the other spouse on their benefits, since this is a new job, the benefit company obviously doesn't allow non spouse's to be on the benefits.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
He probably is telling the truth on this. Its a new job. Its all up to the companies benefit policy. Do you know what insurance company the new company deals with. If you do then you could make a general inquiry to the insurance company asking what their policy is.

No I have no clue what insurance company it would be.
Thank you for information.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:33 PM

HonestLawyer is on a distinguished road

Yes, your ex can be forced to keep you insured on the company group policy and the time frame (how long) should be defined in a settlement or separation agreement. An eligible spouse is either legally married or common law for 12 months. A court order/legal agreement, and you re-marry or are common law with someone else, he would have to insure one of them through a separate plan or individual policy. A judge could order your ex if he refuses.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:43 PM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forums but bad start
1. HonestLawyer <--- Isn't that a paradox?
2. ^ See #1 - you lied!
Just kidding (sort of )
Old 04-29-2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestLawyer View Post
Yes, your ex can be forced to keep you insured on the company group policy and the time frame (how long) should be defined in a settlement or separation agreement. An eligible spouse is either legally married or common law for 12 months. A court order/legal agreement, and you re-marry or are common law with someone else, he would have to insure one of them through a separate plan or individual policy. A judge could order your ex if he refuses.
Now when I go to the courthouse to file, what would the legal document be to file??
Thank you for your help... Really appreciate!!