Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is allowed to file paperwork on my behalf with the court?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is allowed to file paperwork on my behalf with the court?

At the moment, I am not represented by counsel and I wanted to know who is allowed to file paperwork such as motions and affidavits regarding my case with the court on my behalf? Am I able to get my fiancé or a friend to file them when I am not available?

They are allowed to file. Additionally, get them to serve your Family Docs and complete Affidavit of Service.

Comment

Thanks Logical. Can they only file them if they are the ones serving them? Is it all or nothing? I mean, I know I have to commission affidavits and stuff but someone else can serve them and file them with the court after?

Comment

I'm not aware of restriction with respect to who actually files the Document's - But there is a restriction on who actually serves some documents.

Read Rule 6, and particular subrule 4.1 and 4.2

Courts of Justice Act - O. Reg. 114/99

SPECIAL SERVICE — RESTRICTION ON WHO MAY SERVE

(4.1) Subject to subrule (4.2), special service of the following documents shall be carried out by a person other than the party required to serve the document:
        1. An application (Form 8, 8A, 8B, 8B.1, 8B.2, 8C, 8D, 8D.1, 34L or 34N).
        2. A motion to change (Form 15) and change information form (Form 15A) or affidavit permitted under subrule 15 (22), with required attachments.
        3. A document listed in subrule (4). O. Reg. 6/10, s. 1.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X