Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what's first? property settlement or divorce?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's first? property settlement or divorce?

what do i do first? file the uncontested divorce papers and then deal with the land transfer (he's transferring his ownership to me for agreed $)? or the other way around? and then, what is the process for land transfer?
    thanks. what a long haul this has been!

Divorce is usually not granted until all the issues such as properties, custody etc have been resolved. However, after filing for divorce, either party can move to sever the divorce from other issues. Court may or may not grant the divorce depending on circumstances. However, keep in mind the person controlling more of the assets or with interim custody might not be very motivated to settle the matters if the divorce has already been granted.

Comment

thanks singledad. in this case the property is the only asset and i'm living on it. what is the process for land transfer? we've agreed on a price. is it a straight real estate deal? or is it complicated by divorce?

Comment

I'd like to add that "singledad99" is correct, and you can have the divorce separated from all other issues provided that you clearly indicate that these outstanding issues are being (will be) dealt with separately and why (briefly).

Generally the court wait a full year before granting a request to sever the divorce form other issues and thus allowing the actual divorce. But this can and has been successfully done in many cases.

Comment

there are no other issues. if i am understanding correctly, the land transfer comes first and then filing for divorce. how does the land transfer physically work? do we have to meet in a lawyers office? how do i begin?

Comment

Check out this website: Property Divorce Laws : Canadian Divorce Laws It is not a substitute for legal advice. You may want to get a lawyer.

Comment

2 year old post

Comment

NK, check out Kimberley's cat here http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...all-ties-4522/.

Runwaway early leader for post of the year.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X