Bill C-78: Changes to the Divorce Act

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill C-78: Changes to the Divorce Act

Passed third reading last Tuesday- without amendments at the Senate.

Pretty much a done deal at this point. I don't know when it will receive Royal Assent.

Does anyone think that changing the terms is going to help?

As to family violence. Until there is mandatory violence and safety screening for everyone working in the family law field, I don't know that anything in this Bill makes a significant difference.

Originally posted by iona6656 View Post
    Does anyone think that changing the terms is going to help?
    It will incentivize mothers to falsely claim that they are victims are family violence, even more than they are currently incentivized.

Call me cynical, but I suspect that any "family violence" term will be used to further deprive children of their fathers. If I remember correctly, the language used was quite wide in breadth in terms of what was recognized as "violence".

Meanwhile, like that akai dude in the other thread, abused fathers will continue to get nothing. Yes, I know the language is gender neutral, but you have to be a special kind of oblivious to actually believe that family law is any variation of actually gender neutral.

Comment

I actually agree with you. I think expanding the term "violence" does nothing if people aren't actually trained or if there isn't a system in place to verify the violence. It's lip service.

I think it was an attempt to signal that the family violence is hugely important in determining the best interest of the child. HOWEVER, who cares if you're not actually trained to spot or figure out whether the violence is real?

I do like what they are trying to do in terms of steering matters towards family dispute resolution.

Comment

It already:
        Status: This bill has received Royal Assent and is, or will soon become, law.

https://www.parl.ca/DocumentViewer/e...8/royal-assent

What about “The child’s voice is something that is going to be considered when looking at what the best interests of the child are, where previously that wasn’t necessarily the case,” Galambos said. ? The usual BS?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X