Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 08:27 PM

microcrashboy is on a distinguished road

I am puzzled! why do you think she should get custody? The courts prefer shared it is in the best interest of children for them (not parents - not about parents here!) to see both parents equally.
Also if they are old enough it is really up to the children what they want. They can even get a children's lawyer appointed by the court to fight for them.

You need to read more and DO NOT ACCEPT what your lawyer says make YOUR decision for you will have to live with it.

Remeber child support is not based on what you agree but a set calculated table amount. Google that using Canada and get the federal government website on topic.

Also use canlawii and read some cases simialr to yours.

I am not telling you to fight, but to educate yourself before you agree to anything! You are your best advocate!
Old 12-22-2010, 08:29 PM

Also the courts would careless if you live in a basement apartment or a house. As long as you can provide for the children and if you pay support clearly you can.
She will likely fight for custody because of the support issue which see may see as her sole or part income. Be prepared for this.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:47 PM

tugofwar is on a distinguished road

To be honest, I think you are seeking shared custody to get out of the support. Why not propose joint custody,(already agreed upon I read that in one of the posts) and keep the money within the family and not courts and lawyers etc.
Then find a place close by, work on building the hours up. Your kids are teens, they may or may not want to spend 50% of the time with you. I think you are just trying to brain wash them to stay with you by offering atv's etc and get out of paying support. Correct me if Im wrong
Old 12-23-2010, 12:33 AM

SadDad2010 is on a distinguished road

No tugofwar...you misinterpreted what I said. My boys told ME that they would stay with me full time if I bought ATV's etc...they are teenage boys and I did not take them seriously. (I just laughed when they said it) I have never ever brainwashed them or offered them any incentives. As for child support, I wanted to share time with my kids from day one, long before I was even aware of how much CS I would pay. I looked up the table amounts and started paying my ex...she never even asked for it.
I won't lie, if we had shared custody, I would be more comfortable financially but that would allow me to do more for my children too. Both my wife and I have good salaries so our children have always been taken care of.
Like I said earlier, I would love for my children to stay with me but I would never force them and I would definitely not bribe them.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:32 AM

NBDad is on a distinguished road

Honestly from a purely financial standpoint it's cheaper to pay your table support and take EOW.

Figure how much food multiple teens would eat, then factor in the bigger housing costs, furniture for them, clothing, taking time off for their activities, etc.

If one is primarily focuses on the financial aspect, the EOW screwjob is cheaper.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:40 AM

tugofwar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadDad2010 View Post
No tugofwar...you misinterpreted what I said.
Just checking.... It is a known pattern that's why many parents want shared. Thanks for your reply.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:21 AM

Default Terms

I am confused here!
According to Child support guidelines there are four custody arrnagements:
Full - one parent has full custody
Access - opposite to full usual arrangement is every other weekend, but can be anything suitable.
Shared - this is where both parents have equal time with child and time may not be less than 40%.
Split - This is where there are more than 2 children and the custody is split between parents. One parent can have full for one access for another and vice versus for the other parent.

Point is watch your wording and meanings. Read up on the child support guidlines on federal govenment website.

Alot of good information for those going through sepaartion with kids.
The Supporting Families Experiencing Separation and Divorce Initiative

Federal Child Support Amounts: Simplified Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugofwar View Post
To be honest, I think you are seeking shared custody to get out of the support. Why not propose joint custody,(already agreed upon I read that in one of the posts) and keep the money within the family and not courts and lawyers etc.
Then find a place close by, work on building the hours up. Your kids are teens, they may or may not want to spend 50% of the time with you. I think you are just trying to brain wash them to stay with you by offering atv's etc and get out of paying support. Correct me if Im wrong
Old 12-23-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugofwar View Post
Just checking.... It is a known pattern that's why many parents want shared. Thanks for your reply.
Well when you think about it once you have children there is getting out of nothing, pay support or pay for living expenses both the same maybe even more costly to have them live with you, but for some reason it is worth it.

If you buy them things as you would wnat to nothign wrong with that, I spoil my child with things as well as love. After all it is my decision no one esles to make! Just liek you!
Old 12-23-2010, 08:27 AM

dadtotheend will become famous soon enoughdadtotheend will become famous soon enough

Hey micro I think you might be confusing custody and access. Custody referrs to decision making. Access refers to the living arrangements for the kids with each parent.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:30 AM

It is not what I am saying read what I read. I provided links. You see if there are Universal terms and set amounts less confusion, hence child support guidlines, but still lawyers and judges both make mistakes.

Also I fixed three to four was writitng and thinking sametime
Closed Thread