This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who pays for what?

I am a SAHM and primary caregiver to my 2 children. He works full time and pays all of our bills. Both our names are on the mortgage and house utility accounts. As I am not financially contributing, does this affect my situation negatively in any way should we legally separate?

Not financially contributing should not make a difference. Are you Common Law? or Married?

Comment

Originally posted by whatnow
      Not financially contributing should not make a difference. Are you Common Law? or Married?
      Married almost 10yrs.

Comment

yes, it will not make a difference. The law is clear with regards to this.

Comment

You won't be at a legal disadvantage if that's what you mean - you will still be entitled to "half". But people seem to forget that it is much costlier to maintain 2 homes than one. If you separate and expect your ex-spouse to support you, you most certainly will be negatively affected. You cannot possibly maintain the same standard of living as you have as a family and neither will he. So unless you are independently wealthy, I would suggest that you start thinking about getting back to work if you want to divorce.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X