Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 09:03 AM

hubby will become famous soon enough
Default Hands off business

So spouses are entitled to 50% of business. At what point are they not entitled to the revenues generated by the business? Is it at the time of seperation/divorce that the financial statements are looked upon and it is then determined the amount owing to them? After that point, any revenues generated are hands off to them? Of does one have to close the business and open under another entity after seperation/divorce?

Are just the revenues considered or do the courts look at the expenses and such or that negative equity has been realized of the last few years? In other words, they look at the total picture of the company when determining what they are entitled too?

Hubby
Old 12-07-2005, 04:15 PM

Grace has a spectacular aura aboutGrace has a spectacular aura about

When you separate, the business would be evaluated on that date to determine your wife's "half". After that profits generated by the business would be considered for the purpose of determining your salary for child/spousal support.

The courts will look at the "whole picture" of your business.

Again, I'm no lawyer or accountant, but this is what happened with my divorce.
Closed Thread