Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 12:00 AM

Fresh Starts is on a distinguished road
Angry Settlement Conference

Hi everyone:

I have a small question about how many times you can postpone a settlement conference.

I had one scheduled in July 2005, and the ex's lawyer rescheduled until December 2005, which his lawyer rescheduled again Until May 2006.

Settlement Conference did not go thru once again (the ex's laywer has had to reschedule because of another trial - and now the Settlement Conference has been rescheduled until January 31, 2007.

How many times can my soon to be ex and his lawyer reschedule? Can this go on forever?

It's already been two and a half years.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:05 AM

workingthruit is on a distinguished road
Default sorry

I don't know the answer, but that sounds obscene. And a deliberate play to frustrate you and use the legal system to manipulate you.

Are you represented by a lawyer?

Seems to me that both lawyers in our case had to agree to hold things over ... etc .. having a settlement conference held over for a YEAR seems to defeat the very purpose of the event.

Just seems wrong to me - sorry you are being treated this way.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:38 AM

Fresh Starts is on a distinguished road
Default Lawyer

Yes, I am represented by a lawyer, but she keeps on telling me that there is nothing we can do. They use "valid" excuses. The ex couldn't make it in because of weather, the ex's laywer had a trial date, The ex's lawyer had to have surgery for something... etc...

My lawyer say's that she is going to try to settle without going into settlement conference, but she has been telling me that for the last year, and still we are no closer than we were before the December Settlement Conference was cancelled.

I just feel so fustrated with the whole system. Even more so now, since the ex got suspended from work, and may lose his job. I know this will effect a settlement. Where it would not have if we had settled two weeks ago.

There is alot of money in trust (from the sale of the house) that I am entitled to - due to arrears owing in Child and spousal support. I believe that is one of the main reasons that the ex does not want to settle. He doesn't want me to have that money.

I just feel so fustrated withh all of it
Old 05-19-2006, 07:12 PM

logicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to logicalvelocity

The other party can only adjourn so long. It appears they are procrastinating on the issues. Have your lawyer write the other lawyer for availability of dates for the next 6 months. Once received, go ahead and book a date. This way you have it in writing. Make it clear to the other party and their lawyer that you intend to show up for the settlement conference. If they fail to show seek costs. You could also make a formal request for the other party to attend mediation.

LV
Closed Thread