Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

Old 01-13-2021, 10:38 PM

canthisberight is on a distinguished road
Default 16 days to court...

And my partners lawyer has done nothing...

I am so unimpressed, my partner contacted him when his income when down by 50%, his lawyer didnt suggest trying to change the interim agreement...

He emailed him last Monday...no response.. I convinced him to call this Monday..he responded with hadnt read anything yet..would read and get back to him later that day...that was Monday...todayis Wednesday, not a word.

I do not feel confident about this at all, and I think he is going to get financially screwed in court as his ex seems to have a much better lawyer.

16 days and counting...
Old 01-14-2021, 09:10 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

Has the lawyer filed the necessary paperwork?

Remember your partner is not the only client this lawyer has. They could be dealing with court dates for others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2021, 02:13 PM

StillPaying is on a distinguished road

16 days is a long time.
Is this for a conference, motion or trial?
Sounds like you're just looking for expensive updates before anything is done. Trust your lawyer until you have a valid reason not to.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:13 PM

Trial...they were too far apart the last time they went to court...so no clue
Old 01-14-2021, 11:15 PM

StillPaying is on a distinguished road

Are you sure it's not a trial management conference?

Have you already done the trial record and document brief?
Old 01-15-2021, 11:27 PM

No I am not sure...they went to a case conference..then to a meeting with a judge..and an interim agreement was lut in place...for 3 months then covid hit...he is getting sick ei of 2100 a month..she gets 5100...fun times not
Old 01-17-2021, 10:24 AM

Got the proper wording: and I quote

The matter on Jan 29 is simply a trial scheduling appointment conference, which is simply a process to determine how long a trial would take and to set dates. Nothing would happen on that date, an as such I have agreed to "other lawyers names" request to adjourn the matter to March 5th

This is getting downright depressing, I have my own issues with my ex, but all the court stuff and payments were settled within a year of seperation.

My partner and his ex are now coming up on 3 years of seperation and nohing is settled. Hes living off of sick leave ei...she has a completely mortgage free house, and receives double the amt of income he does...plus he pays her 75% of his ei, due to an interim agreement, that was supposed to be in place for 2 months...now a year later

Just frustrating. Thanks for reading
Old 01-18-2021, 12:38 PM

Stillbreathing will become famous soon enough

Canthisberight what you are going through with 3 year delay is perfectly normal. Now imagine you were in my shoes, with litigation having delayed any settlement whatsoever in any way shape or form for “10 years” now! We have another trial date booked in the coming months and I hope this time it sticks!
Old 01-18-2021, 04:11 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

Ya I was going to say three years is nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2021, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillbreathing View Post
Canthisberight what you are going through with 3 year delay is perfectly normal. Now imagine you were in my shoes, with litigation having delayed any settlement whatsoever in any way shape or form for “10 years” now! We have another trial date booked in the coming months and I hope this time it sticks!
Oh no..my own was signed and sealed in less then a year...lots of support payments..no property involved